DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The story that I have is this. A few months ago, I had just finished buying a new negative terminal. Then I put the battery from my van into it and it started. Keep in mind that it hadn't started for 6 years since the last owner had it. I turned it off and after a few minutes I turned it back on. Then, I found out that the hood struts needed to be replaced. The hood fell about 5 times, and one time my head was under it.

A month passed and I went to get a new battery for it. After, I got the battery and I put it in the car wouldn't start. I ended up getting a mechanic to go and see what the problem was and he said that it needs a new starter. So, after we put in the new starter the car still wouldn't start. We found out that the starter was only getting 2.4 volts.
I had the starter, battery, and fuses checked and they were all good. Then, I cleaned the connections of the alternator, fuse box and battery and they are all getting 12+ volts. The starter however, is only getting 7 volts. It just clicks and wont turn, when it is in the car.

I don't know what to do now and its been a few weeks, plus our mechanic still hasn't gotten back to me yet. So, I don't know what to do. I already spent a lot of money on the car, so I can't junk it now. I also spent money on trying to get a salvage title for it. I need the car to start so that I can bring it to them and get the new title in my name.

Do you guys think that when the hood fell down all of those times, that it broke something? If anyone knows what the problem could be. Please Help!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,456 Posts
If the starter only has 7 volts then I would say there's something up with the Positive Battery cable or it's connections. Either corrosion inside under the insulation or the Positive battery terminal is extremely corroded. The path is from the battery positive terminal up to the Positive jump post (near the passenger headlight. Has the red cover on it) then down to the starter.

It's most likely corrosion at the connections on the Positive Jump Post. It needs to be taken apart and have all the cable connections cleaned with a wire brush, etc. Reassemble and make sure that a wrench is used on both the nuts and the jump post base.

Reactions: 2004IntrepidV6SXT

·
Registered
3 Posts
The story that I have is this. A few months ago, I had just finished buying a new negative terminal. Then I put the battery from my van into it and it started. Keep in mind that it hadn't started for 6 years since the last owner had it. I turned it off and after a few minutes I turned it back on. Then, I found out that the hood struts needed to be replaced. The hood fell about 5 times, and one time my head was under it.

A month passed and I went to get a new battery for it. After, I got the battery and I put it in the car wouldn't start. I ended up getting a mechanic to go and see what the problem was and he said that it needs a new starter. So, after we put in the new starter the car still wouldn't start. We found out that the starter was only getting 2.4 volts.
I had the starter, battery, and fuses checked and they were all good. Then, I cleaned the connections of the alternator, fuse box and battery and they are all getting 12+ volts. The starter however, is only getting 7 volts. It just clicks and wont turn, when it is in the car.

I don't know what to do now and its been a few weeks, plus our mechanic still hasn't gotten back to me yet. So, I don't know what to do. I already spent a lot of money on the car, so I can't junk it now. I also spent money on trying to get a salvage title for it. I need the car to start so that I can bring it to them and get the new title in my name.

Do you guys think that when the hood fell down all of those times, that it broke something? If anyone knows what the problem could be. Please Help!
Personally, I’d be getting a new battery for it. It sounds like your battery is old. Pray this fixes the issue because of you battery drains again, it could be alternator related and that could be very expensive.

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
. . .

OP said:
...A month passed and I went to get a new battery for it. After, I got the battery and I put it in the car wouldn't start...

Reactions: Ronbo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before pricing out alternators, check that your battery connections aren’t overly corroded. If they’re not in the battery still getting charged, then you either need a new alternator belt, or a new alternator.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,456 Posts
Also need to check your negative battery terminal/cable and the ground going to the engine. Corrosion or connection issues in either the positive or negative cable circuits can lead to this situation.

Do your headlights and interior lights work?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, do you guys know how to fix a trunk that won't open when using the key? When I put the key in the keyhole in the trunk it won't turn. I sprayed WD-40 in the keyhole, but it still won't turn. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The headlights work, but the turn signal bulb seems to be damaged and it turns on and off when it wants to. It looks like the filament in it broke and is touching the one on the bottom. All the interior lights work, but the aftermarket radio from the old owner doesn't work. He had a stereo in it and I am going to put it back in the car later, because it removed it.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,456 Posts
And is Ground wire G107 connected to the engine. It 's under one of the starter mounting bolts. When the starter was changed was the ground re-installed
By the way, do you guys know how to fix a trunk that won't open when using the key? When I put the key in the keyhole in the trunk it won't turn. I sprayed WD-40 in the keyhole, but it still won't turn. Any suggestions?
You don't have a remote trunk release button on the dash near the headlight switch?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,456 Posts
Does your ignition key fit the door locks?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The key fits and opens the door locks. Its just that the trunk lock won't allow the key to turn. The ignition key fits, but won't turn the lock inorder to open the trunk.

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
Someone changed the trunk lock cylinder?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,456 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
Open the trunk with the inside button, then pull the material covering the lock area inside the lid and see if something's not right with the latch linkage. Remove the chlinder and see if you can actuate the latch mechanism by hand. If so, probably a cylinder problem. I guess it's possible the cylinder tumblers are jammed from dirt or corrosion, but simplest explanation is it needs to be rekeyed.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,456 Posts
Pull the lock cylinder if you find it's not jammed and take it to a locksmith. They can make a new key for it or rekey the tumblers in it to work with your existing key.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts