DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this gotta be the weirdest thing that has happened to me.

so one day i was about to start my car, turn the car on, turn the ignition, the stereo comes on, amp powers up, the whole deal, and then when i tried to start it, the whole thing just shuts off....WTF...., try the key again, works....whheeeewwww

so 2 days later im drivin on the road, subs bumpin, suddenly the engine cuts off and the gauges start blinking....WTF.....so i pull over, thinking it's my subs shortening, so i took the main fuse out. well alright, starts and runs perfect....for 4 days.....

so just about 30 minutes ago, im driving, no subs bumping, just the stereo on, ridin nicely....suddenly my car just goes bizzerk.....gauges start flashing, engine shuts off, the radio shuts off, well ok, the whole system shut off...WTF....turned the radio the EFF off, and that solved the issue....

NOW CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WTF IS WRONG WITH MY CAR????

·
Premium Member
16,763 Posts
When the positive jump post connections get loose, this is how things can act. All electrical power, with the exception of the hot connection to the alternator, goes thru the positive jump post. Do a search on my name and "positive jump post" for suggestions on how to tell if that's the problem and how to fix it. Restrict the search to the last 6 months, and you should find some good reading.

It could also be the connection at the battery itself, but the positive jump post is readily accessible and it will only take you a coupla minutes to determine if that's the problem.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm sounds interesting, but the funny thing is that when i took off the face of my cd player off, which shuts off the whole deck, the car runs fine....like its a problem with the cd player or something....altho, i do remember the yellow wire being stripped by the ignition key. so yall think its something with the ignition or the cd player? cuz im REALLY confused now how i can turn my stereo off and ride fine.....the reason i put everything on my stereo is cuz last nite, when it shut off, i turned the stereo off, and it was fine, so i turned it back on, and it did the same cut off bs again....now im scurred to turn my radio on lol

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
I think that may be a good lead on where to look for a wiring problem. But it could still be what Peva is saying. If the positive post is getting corroded and not letting enough power through then your CD player may be putting it over the edge.

You said it did it at night - does it matter if the lights are on or not? If so, I'd look it the positive post and grounding. If not, then you might have a short up under the dash somewhere. I'd start looking along the route your CD power wires take ...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok lol update, i turned the radio on and it was fine....I'll check the positive post and that stripped wire.......thanx guys!!! by the way lol, off topic, my left headlight went off, anyone knows a place to get some 9006XS headlights? lol the ones on ebay dont last long....but i want some good ones, like the sylvania ones or i was thinking of some of those of other colors....like purple or green or something lol

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
I run the Silverstars. Some people complain about how they (don't) last - but I've been runnin' mine for 18 months with 0 problems.

But they're not "ricey" - just a clean, white light ...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol ja ja, i just got a pair off e-bay....i had silverstars on my trep, very nice working...

J

·
0 Posts
Silverstars here also.
I know about people saying they last 6 months.. But I've had them for the past 12 and still good. Much brighter than the stock lamps.. pure white, and non of that ricer looking "blue hue."

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol blue hue, actually I'd love some purple-accent lights, that'd make my day lol. but yeah update on my car, i found the effin problem after i got stuck on the street for 20 minutes and decided to just bang on the effin Positive Terminal pole (the side where it sticks out and u can connect crap to)
Saw a spark flyin, i was like WOOOOW, that's when i noticed that the nut that was holding the pole with positive ignition wire was about 8th of an inch loose....jerked that thing up and down, my car flashed lights, i was like YES! :snipersmi got u now hehehehe, so i juss tighten that nut up and had no problems since!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts