DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Intrepid with the 3.5. I bought this car with a bad engine to replace the motor as the body and interior is perfect and only gave 250 for the car. I got the salvage yard motor in and besides the injectors clicking a lot it runs great. Tons of power and smoot. I noticed a few days ago that just after I start it up if I rev the engine a little it gets a rattle just as the rpms start to drop back down. It seems to be coming form the lower rear of passenger side of the motor. When I was backing into my parking spot at work esterday the car died. Fired right back up but would barely stay running when it was in D or R. After work I started it up and it was running fine again. 'Normally' after driving for 10 or so miles it won't "rattle" again until after it has been sitting for a while. Is this somethign internal to the engine? A rod, Bearings, or is it trans related? Need urgent help as the engine is only under warranty for another 5 or 6 days.

J

·
0 Posts
I would say either something is loose in the rear. Stalling condition could be caused by EGR valve being loose and leaking all that vacuum out. It is actually located directly where you describe the problem is. Passenger side, rear of engine. Mounted to exhaust manifold.
Car will also stall if the Torque converter is shot. If it's jamming up, Neutral and park is fine. But put it in gear, jams up and stalls the engine. But Torque converter only gets worse, not better. And it would be immediately worse, especially after 10 miles of driving it.

J

·
0 Posts
Take a long ass metal pipe or screwdriver and stick it to the top of the transmission bellhousing (where TQ Converter is.. ) Put your ear to the other end. It will give you a better idea what's happening with the tranny.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked my EGR and it is connected and working properly. Doing brakes tomorrow so will check the to see if the sounds is coming from the TQ.

J

·
0 Posts
How many miles does the tranny have?

Approx. since rebuild? If you know. If you don't assume it's original tranny.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I beleive it is original transmission. It hass 100892 miles on the car. Shifts smoothly so far.

J

·
0 Posts
They all shift smoothly 'till one day... they start jammin' ..

So, did you figure out where da Noiz is coming from?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It never fails...when you get in there to hear the noise and figure out what it is you can't make it do no matter how hard you try...lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts