DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is stranded, his 1997 Intrepid 3.5 is running hot. I took a look at it for him. he poured some bars stop leak in it. It gummed up the coolant resevior but I cleaned it out with a screwdriver. We think it may be a waterpump issue, but here are the symptoms:

Car runs hot when sitting or moving slowly. Its okay on the interstate.
Steam comes out of the bleeder valve on the thermostat on or off (car is still warm)
we removed the thermostat and it still does it
fans are turning on
no visible leaks
coolant coming out of overflow tube
gushes coolant out of the coolant resevoir after a while
We took out the thermostat, the intake was bone dry.
oil is clean
no coolant/steam from the exhaust

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Umm, my first thought is, a pluged Rad. How much Bar's Leak did he put in ? I put some of that in a Grand Am I use to own, and the stuff just pluged the Rad. then made her overheat. Also make sure that all the air is bleed out of the system too. If everything checks out, then it's the water pump then.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Almost sounds like the thermostat. I remember my freind taking his out of his truck and when it was sitting it would usally heat up kind of fast. But when he was driving faster it would stay really cool.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i had the same issue w/ 95 3.5 change the following if you can :coolant temp sensor
thermostat
water pump
belts
idler pully

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We checked the water pump, it was working. He decided to have it towed home to take a better look at it. Im thinking the rad might be clogged.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
not sure on the rad... my dads olds silhouette had a similar problem. Make sure the pump is purged correctly. His was heating up a lot after a few running mins.

We changed the thermostat and it was still doing it. if the temp sensor is gone, your gauge will not work and your fans will come on as soon as the engine starts (like DRL).

Try bleeding the system a bit (with the engine running) in the return line by the waterpump. Let it run and then open the valve, it should sputter a bit and then throw out a solid stream, then u can close it up and call it a day. Make sure u refil the rad before you start, we had this problem after the new rad was put in (by me) due to the deer accident.

Otherwise i dont think it would happen. maybe a fluid flush would clean the rad? IF you dont run those stop leak things you should be ok with just a purge.

Good luck, let us know how when u get it going.

·
Registered
198 Posts
We changed the thermostat and it was still doing it. if the temp sensor is gone, your gauge will not work and your fans will come on as soon as the engine starts (like DRL).

So what does DRL mean? My 96 is doing just that of late (fans coming on when car is started ) and I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
198 Posts

So what does DRL mean? My 96 is doing just that of late (fans coming on when car is started ) and I can't figure it out. My guages are working though....

·
Registered
639 Posts
Make sure the radiator is not clogged with that stop leak death additive. Also, make sure the system is purged of air (using the bleeder screw at the thermostat housing). Also make sure the cooling fans are operating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, my Dad's 97 Intrepid with the 3.5L is doing this....can anyone else add anything to this thread?? Anyone out there have this problem and resolve it with the actions recommended in this thread? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
I hate Barrs leak,,,
I too am thinking air in the system,,, but more than likely a clogged rad,,,
long shot but i have seem the impellers on the water pumps get ate up,, so they didnt circulate coolant,, just a long shot,,,

·
Registered
2 Posts
He took out his water pump today and it was fine. Fans operated as well. Don't think he used Barrs leak at all. (That's used to plug one right) Hmm...I know he wasn't running any thermostat at all for some time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts