DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got given a 2004 dodge intrepid 2.7 litter. the car was parked for two years needed the rack and tie rods so on front end. i got the car wanted to get it started before doing the work on it put new battery,starter,cam and crank sensers still noting car will crank but doesnt even seem like it even wants to start . pretty sure im not getting any spark.any ideas where to look thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
The Search Button can be your friend!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes timing chain is intact and im prety sure im geting fuel pulled plugs to change and they were soaked in fuel.going to be checking the fuse box in morning with a tester

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
*engine cranks does not start

possible causes
fuel filter/pressure regulator (high)
fuel filter/pressure regulator defective (high)
fuel pump capacity (volume) out of specs
fuel system disabled by vtss/skim
powertrain fuses open
secondary indicators present
engine mechanical problem
high resistance in the fuel pump relay output circuit
fuel pump relay output circuit open
fused b+ circuit to fuel pump relay open/high resistance
open/high resistance in the fuel pump ground circuit
fuel pump inlet strainer plugged
high resistance in the fuel pump ground circuit
fuel pump module
fuel pump relay
kinked/restricted fuel supply line
fuel pump module jumper harness defective
no ckp sensor signal when cranking engine
fuel pump module
no cmp sensor signal when cranking engine
ckp & cmp sensors out of sync

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright so what should i be looking for did the cam crank new stater new battery getting fuel got power to fuse box all fuses look good.what is best next step car ran good before it was parked. could the timing belt go bad well it sat for two years pretty sure im not just getting spark

·
Registered
34 Posts
yeh, but is it 2 year old fuel ? ewww.

Can't you pull a plug and then reconnect it to it's individual coil, lay the side of the plug against the engine and crank it? Should see spark.

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
alright so what should i be looking for did the cam crank new stater new battery getting fuel got power to fuse box all fuses look good.what is best next step car ran good before it was parked. could the timing belt go bad well it sat for two years pretty sure im not just getting spark
As mentioned earlier, the 2.7 has a timing chain - all metal - no rotting.

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
Is sensor power good? The engine sensors share a common 5 volt sensor power bus (from the PCM). That can get pulled down by one bad sensor - a.c. pressure transducer is famous for that - try disconnecting it to see if it will start then - but also measure the sensor power wire at any sensor and see if you have 5 volts.

Any codes???

Also this v v v
yeh, but is it 2 year old fuel ? ewww.

Can't you pull a plug and then reconnect it to it's individual coil, lay the side of the plug against the engine and crank it? Should see spark.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
Can you clear some things up?

Sounds like this is a car bought without seeing it run? It was sitting 2 years before you bought it? Was the car running before it was "parked"? Or did you just take the Sellers word?

It's a possibility if it was sitting that long that there might be rodent damage to the wiring. Not saying there is...but it's a possibility.

Having a "Test Light" is fine for certain testing but you need a DVOM for a lot of the things Peva is asking about. DVOM=Digital Volt Ohm Meter. You don't need a super expensive one but you need to know how to use it properly for test readings.

Like Peva said:
1) Check all fuses in the PDC=Power Distribution Center under the hood for continuity with a meter. As he said just visually inspecting them isn't enough.
2) Need to verify that you have the 5 volts DC at the sensors. It comes from the PCM. If not present then wiring is fooked or the PCM is fooked.

Power to the coils is great but it's the PCM that provides the ground to fire the spark plugs. Again that 5 volts for the sensors is critical.

So give us some answers to these questions???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright going to buy a dvom today. and yes car sat for rwo years bfore i got it still work for the guy who gave it to me and yes the car was running before parked. will get back to u about the 5 volts later today thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright guys thanks for the help was a bad wire.

alright now my problem is that the starter is staying engaged or geting stuck kinda lost on this one. if car is started and u go to turn key to start does notting. any ideas thanks again everone

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
A bad wire?
Which one?
Connected to what?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
I was going to ask the same but I was more interested in the "Mystery" wire that caused the No Start condition first! heh

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it was a bad wire to the pcm the computer.

do u have any ideas way the starter would stay connected to the flywheel like could it be a bad shim or something else im lost. could it be just a bad starter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i turned the key to just see if it was engaged still because it sound like the keys is being turned the grinding noise from starter after being started

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
i turned the key to just see if it was engaged still because it sound like the keys is being turned the grinding noise from starter after being started
FYI - if the PCM detects that the engine is running, it won’t respond to the key being turned to start.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts