DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 ES w/ 3.5L no ABS. Canadian car. 58,500 km (basic warranty until 60,000 km) The wife says the car feels like it's losing power. I got in last night and after backing up about 5 feet, it just didn't feel right, and it sounded as if the front (maybe rear too) brakes were dragging a bit. I drove it only a couple kilometers, and it does feel sluggish, but it's not like you have to power through or anything. Gravitiy still pulls it down a slight hill, but it did seem to lose speed quicker than normal going back up with no accel. I touched near the middle of the wheel after driving, and the center hub seems to be warmer than it should for such a short drive.

I have days of work tomorrow, and want to take it in to get checked before I lose warranty, but I guess the question is; What could cause this, and should I drive it 100 km to the shop, or have it hauled so I don't warp the rotors (and probably void warranty)?

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Not knowing what it is and dealing with braking i would just bite the tow or have your insurance pay for it (mine does atleast state farm) and have them look at it 2 birds one stone. im sure a more knowledgeful person on brakes will pipe in

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I'm not sure that brake maintenace is under warranty same as putting gas in your tank...that said you could jack it up and feel each wheel if it rotates smoothly without too much friction.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so I pulled the front wheels off and checked things out. No visible leaks and everything looks tight. The brakes have lots of meat on the pads, and the rotors look pretty good. I checked out the service manual, but I don't want to go much further before the shop checks it out (only about 1500 km until warranty is up). I did try to put a feeler gauge between the outer pad and the rotor, and I can't even get 0.0015" between. Both pads are definitely touching the rotor (engine is off). Seems to me that there should be a little bit of clearance at least, because that could add up to some significant drag.

I have an appointment tomorrow, so I appreciate any help I can get ASAP. Also, anything else I should get them to check, before my warranty is done?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Sharp04 said:
OK, so I pulled the front wheels off and checked things out. No visible leaks and everything looks tight. The brakes have lots of meat on the pads, and the rotors look pretty good. I checked out the service manual, but I don't want to go much further before the shop checks it out (only about 1500 km until warranty is up). I did try to put a feeler gauge between the outer pad and the rotor, and I can't even get 0.0015" between. Both pads are definitely touching the rotor (engine is off). Seems to me that there should be a little bit of clearance at least, because that could add up to some significant drag.

I have an appointment tomorrow, so I appreciate any help I can get ASAP. Also, anything else I should get them to check, before my warranty is done?

Thanks,
Don't worry about the clearance, the pads always touch the rotor slightly, as long as there's nothing holding the piston from going back (like seized guide pins) you won't get any significant amount of drag from that . You should get them to check your AC system , that is known to go south really quick and cost a mint to repair !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts