DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some best guesses....Thread is updated a couple posts down

My daughter moved a couple hours away for a job and tomorrow I have to go down and fix her car.

This morning she went to start it and in starts and dies. Its been running great and has new orings and pressure regulator. Im guessing its the fuel pump but what else could it be???? I am loading up tools and a pump and driving down tomorrow morning. I have lots of parts at home so take a best guess please.

:poopoo:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the 97 Frankintrep

I can have her try and reset it by using the keys to lock and unlock the doors. What about the crank or cam sensors?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just talked to my daughter when she came home from work and have a correction. The car tries to start but does not even kick over. She can hear the fuel pump. I had her unplug the MAP sensor and start the car by pumping the gas and it started. She then plugged it in again and now it starts with the sensor in.

I have never had a bad MAP sensor.
So do you think that its the MAP sensor for sure or is it a fussy crank sensor.?
Will a bad MAP sensor cause the car to not start?

OK, I have a spare fuel pump and MAP sensor and just ordered Crank and Cam sensors. I'm now going on the rescue mission Saturday

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Help

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
map sensors use to be a big chrysler ailment,, you have a spare so your good to go, take a spare auto shut down relay also, sounds like you have the bases covered

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
map sensors use to be a big chrysler ailment,, you have a spare so your good to go, take a spare auto shut down relay also, sounds like you have the bases covered
When I had her on the phone I had her switch the ASD relay with the headlight relay and try and start the car, no such luck, but its a variable eliminated.

So why is it that un-pluging the MAP allows the car to start? Someone edumacate me please

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
I wish I had a answer to that one, all I can think of ,, bad signal and it leans it down to almost no fuel, same thing happens on the 3.8 Buick V-6 no start unplug the mass air flow,, its the only reason I can think of,,

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
I had an old '89 Plymouth Accliam 2.5L and the MAP sensor went bad, a no start condition was present. Once the MAP sensor was replaced, all was good.

It took us a while to figure out. Disconnect the battery too to clear any codes when changing this sensor out.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It didn't pull a code until i had her unplug the MAP sensor

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I had a answer to that one, all I can think of ,, bad signal and it leans it down to almost no fuel, same thing happens on the 3.8 Buick V-6 no start unplug the mass air flow,, its the only reason I can think of,,
It's really strange when you think about it. Unplugging it sort of cleared it because now it works plugged in. I had a hard time getting one of the intrepids to pass emissions and spent some time talking to a master tech who worked for e state once a week. He was telling me that our emissions systems were over engineered and very complex, I believe him.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
The emissions systems are very good - but that I truly believe is a function of good software and good engine design... not a sensor system. It isn't like we have both a MAS and a MAP and 8 O2 sensors (one each cylinder, then one after each cat)... we have all the same sensors that everyone else has...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's the follow up:

So last Saturday I drove down to champaign and took my daughter the Vision to trade for Frankintrep. When I went to start it it started right away. I spent the day with her and headed back towards evening. On the way back I averaged 29 mpg which I thought was great, mind you it was all highway. no problems at all. Sunday morning I went to start it and it turns over but no start, I try again giving it gas and it starts but idles really low. If you shut it off it starts right up, the only way I could reproduce this is if I let it sit for say 30-60 minutes. I cleaned the IAC and no difference. started it and I'm poking around under the hood, i hit the throttle and all of a sudden I hear a hissing, vacuum leak. The vacuum connection, (90 degree) at the drivers side throttle body looks like it has a hole. When I shut the car off the hole shut and car started right back up and you couldn't see the hole at all plus it didn't leak!!! When you hit the throttle the additional vacuum actually sucked the connection in and caused the leak. I replaced the connection and have not had an issue since.

I did discover some new issues though...

Headliner is falling
Rocker needs a patch badly
Passenger front strut bearing is failing and its only 5 months old

·
15,449 Posts
Headliner falling sucks...

Congrats on the vacuum fitting, better look at all mine.

How does the rocker look and what are your plans for it? I need to do mine badly also - it is to the point where I need to either fix it, or think about replacing the car in the future... and I hate that prospect.

Dave (Chewievette) once talked about 1st gen rockers being available as replacement parts... Anyone ever see them?

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
on the strut mount, when you replaced it , did you use a OE unit , or aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The rocker is really bad. The back 6" are about gone. I plan to put in a section of sheet metal and then fiberglass over the top. I have seen the rockers for theses cars but I never looked into how big of a job it would be. This ones not worth it, if it makes another two years I would be thrilled.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Attachments

Reactions: cdmccul

·
15,449 Posts
FTW!!!

I wonder why they don't include the Intrepid in that listing... I always thought they were the same till you got into possibly the LHS...

Me thinks a pair of them will be mine in a few weeks, thanks for the awesome find!

EDIT: I see that they do list Intrepid as compatible, just isn't in the listing title.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts