DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving in the (very light) rain and I lost my gauge cluster?? everything is black/off EXCEPT the door, blinkers,trunk warning lights show up.
the speedo, fuel, temp, tach odo etc do not work.
I've read there could be a can bust comms problem so I tried the original cluster oem from the car, still no luck. re-seated the wires on the BCM. and PCM. re-seated cluster again. cleared pcm by disconnecting ground wire for 30+ min. only code is a P1678, immobilizar switch. key not programmed etc. but the pcm/bcm has SKIM keys setup, both keys experience the same code.

the car runs as strong as ever, the factory alarm / clicker still appears to function normally.

-reseated cluster
-tried new cluster
-reseated bcm / pcm cables.
-checked all fuses and re-seated all fuses.
-inspected connectors for corrosion.

Please advise??

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Does your odometer read "nobus"? You will get that if the PCI bus is not functioning. The turn signal and trunk ajar indicators are hard-wired functions - they do not get sent over the serial PCI bus or thru any computers. All the other functions you mentioned are sent over the PCI bus and go thru computers. I'm a little puzzled by the door indicator (I assume by that you mean the door ajar indicator) still working because that does come over the PCI bus.)

If the PCI bus interface signal of ANY computer or module on the bus fails in the shorted mode, it prevents the entire bus from working. I know this because I got my second Concorde for a steal because the local used car lot spent $3000 at the local Chrysler dealer unsuccessfully troubleshooting this same problem. Within an hour of my owning it, I narrowed it down to a shorted PCI bus signal in the TCM by swapping TCMs between it and my other Concorde - and the problem moved to my other Concorde. (Bought a TCM from a junk yard for $35 - problem fixed.)

I think one of your computers or other module (such as air bag module) has failed - either the BCM, which i think manages the data going to the cluster (I could be wrong about that), or any other bussed computer or module's bus interface signal has shorted out, preventing the bus from working.

You could try disconnecting one computer at a time until the bus starts working. If that happens, you will know which box is bad. Use the FSM wiring diagrams to identify all boxes on the PCI bus.

I hope that works for getting this figured out.

Reactions: Gustav

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
What year is your car?

You sure the code is P1678? I'm not finding such a code listed.

EDIT: Perhaps you meant P1687:
Rectangle Parallel Tints and shades Font Pattern

...which would go along with PCI bus not functioning - again, possibly bus shorted out by one of the computers/modules.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL yea. positive its P1678... the cluster does not show "nobus" the FSM says it should say "pci bus" but I'm not getting that either. 2004 300m special wire harness/pcm/bcm etc, stuffed into 2002 Concorde/LHS

@peva on my way home from the ER tonight I used my high beams to scout for deer... and all the gauges lit up and looked like normal... but I had to hold the high beams on for it to stay working... My ear was half tore off, I was in too much pain to spend any time on it, will circle back tomorrow. I'm wondering if its in the blinker stock somehow? very strange issue. I will upload a clip to youtube and link it here. You'll get a kick.

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Wow! What happened to your ear!

From 2004 FSM (page 8J-2): "If the cluster is not receiving any PCI bus messages, the cluster will appear non-functional and 'no bus' will appear in the odometer display." Also, that's what I saw on my '98 cluster when the shorted TCM bus signal was pulling down the bus.

Your multifunction switch may need replacing, I had one do that too. Ebay and Amazon sell a decent aftermarket replacrment multifunction switch. I think Rock Auto has the same one, but they're cheaper elsewhere. Make sure your switch mounting screws are not loose (require E4 inverted torx socket to tighten). If loose, the stalk can hit the edge of the steering column cover opening before the internal switch actually latches into the bright light position. Of course your headlights have to be turned on for the headlights to stay on either dim or bright with the stalk released, but it sppears that your headlights are turned on in your video.

Tail lights are controlled by the Park Lamp relay, the coil of which is controlled by the BCM. The contact of that relay also turns on the front park lights. I'm thinking that if the multifunction switch is not separately causing problems, the BCM may be bad, but at this point, that's just a guess.

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
I found two on-line references to Chrysler DTC P1678. There may be others, but I don't see P1678 in any of the FSMs.

"P1678 Chrysler Auto Trouble Code
P1678 Chrysler OBD2 specifically refers to the camshaft (cam) timing. In this case, if the cam timing is over-retarded, the engine light will be illuminated and the code will be set."

P1678 Chrysler Immobilizer Powertrain Identification Failed

Possible causes
– Deterrent key not programmed to vheicle
– Faulty Deterrent key
– Fualty ignition switch
– Poor electrical connection for Deterrent circuit components
Symptoms
– Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
– No or hard engine start situation

- concerns adaptive cruise control, which apparently didn't exist until 2019?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found two on-line references to Chrysler DTC P1678. There may be others, but I don't see P1678 in any of the FSMs.

"P1678 Chrysler Auto Trouble Code
P1678 Chrysler OBD2 specifically refers to the camshaft (cam) timing. In this case, if the cam timing is over-retarded, the engine light will be illuminated and the code will be set."

P1678 Chrysler Immobilizer Powertrain Identification Failed

Possible causes
– Deterrent key not programmed to vheicle
– Faulty Deterrent key
– Fualty ignition switch
– Poor electrical connection for Deterrent circuit components
Symptoms
– Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
– No or hard engine start situation

- concerns adaptive cruise control, which apparently didn't exist until 2019?
I believe the SKIM reader for the key is plugged into that multiswitch.....

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
The antenna ring of the SKIM module encircles the key entry of the ignition switch key cylinder. The module is physically attached directly to the steering column. There are no electrical connections between the SKIM module and the multifunction switch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was driving in the (very light) rain and I lost my gauge cluster?? everything is black/off EXCEPT the door, blinkers,trunk warning lights show up.
the speedo, fuel, temp, tach odo etc do not work.
I've read there could be a can bust comms problem so I tried the original cluster oem from the car, still no luck. re-seated the wires on the BCM. and PCM. re-seated cluster again. cleared pcm by disconnecting ground wire for 30+ min. only code is a P1678, immobilizar switch. key not programmed etc. but the pcm/bcm has SKIM keys setup, both keys experience the same code.

the car runs as strong as ever, the factory alarm / clicker still appears to function normally.

-reseated cluster
-tried new cluster
-reseated bcm / pcm cables.
-checked all fuses and re-seated all fuses.
-inspected connectors for corrosion.

Please advise??

Thanks!
P1678 CODE just means battery was disconnected in the last 50 drive cycles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts