DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Help shifter cable problem

13K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  primetime 
#1 ·
My shifter cable on my 99 Intrepid was getting difficult to move. Had this problem before and had the dealer replace the shift cable because it was rusted. Well same thing happened a few months ago it started getting difficult to shift again. So to save my self 500.00 to replace a 85 dollar cable I elected to do it myself. Well I bought the new cable and just spent the last 5 hours under the car with my arm wrapped around the sway bar covered in grease and dirt unbolting the 13MM bolt holding the cable bracket to the transmission. after 4 hours of :banghead: I finally get the new cable attached to the shifter mechanism and screwed the stupid little STINKIN 13MM bolt back in turning it 1/16 of a turn at a time because of ZERO CLEARANCE THAT STUPID DMC MADE BETWEEN THE BOLT AND THE TRANNY DIPSTICK TUBE. Anyway I get it all strung through the firewall and I go to attach it to the steering shifter and I find that they gave me the wrong DAMN part. The part of the cable that snaps into the steering column bracket that is held by a flat spring clip is not correct the one I took off is just a round collar with 2 groves in it and you slide it into the metal bracket and slide the clip onto it to hold into place. The new one has a plastic piece that has snaps on it and will not slide into the bracket.

I AM SOOOO PO'D I cannot see straight. Does any one know if I can just change the bracket on the steering column instead of wasting another day returning the old cable for a new one and replacing it all again????

I am seriously comtemplating just driving it to an open field and setting the damn thing on fire and not bother to even collect insurance.

See less See more
#2 ·
That sucks. Shifter cables are a PITA. I would make sure Chrysler didnt update the cable on you before taking it back out. There may be another way to hook it up, or some other part you need to buy to make it work.

#3 ·
Can't help ya with the column shifter connection...but daaayum!! 4 hours??!! It took me about an hour start to finish. I think the secret is to pull the trans dipstick so it's out of the way. Makes it a LOT easier to get to the cable connection at the trans. Good luck!

#5 ·
Moparpartsguy said:
They gave you the right part but what they didn't give you is a bracket, part number 05086367AA. The cable supercedes from the original number and you need this bracket to connect it correctly. I've run into this many times at work. Just get this bracket from your dealer and problem solved.

DUDE I owe you big time, funny thing is when I went to get the part the parts guy said it cross refrences a bracket that needs to be ordered with it. He then says you don't need it because it just a bracket.

GRRRRR

#6 ·
73dodge said:
"you don't need it because it just a bracket"
Famous last words LOL.

But yeah, shifter cable assemblies are outright deceiving. They look very simple to replace but its the rest of the car around it that makes it a PITA.

#7 ·
Can't help ya with the column shifter connection...but daaayum!! 4 hours??!! It took me about an hour start to finish. I think the secret is to pull the trans dipstick so it's out of the way. Makes it a LOT easier to get to the cable connection at the trans. Good luck!
Well fours hours counting the 3 runs to sears to get the correct 13mm box wrench.

But thanks everyone for the help, the bracket that they did not give me the first time fixed the issue. Just be forwarned when replacing this cable to get both the new bracket and new cable.

The process is fairly simple, just pull the covers off the steering column and disconnect the cable from the shifter arm. pull it through the firewall. Disconnect from the tranny by taking off the mounting bracket bolts on the tranny and pulling it off the shifter shaft.

reverse the process when putting it back on not real issues except I could not pull the tranny dipstick tube out and the bolt holding the shifter bracket on thr tranny is attached to a stud and it should just unbolt from the stud. But in my case the bolt froze to the stud and I had to unscrew the whole stud to remove it. no biggy it just takes more time.

Thanks again for the help guys

#9 ·
The floor shifter cable sounds easier to replace than the column shifter. Like I said above, I was done in about an hour or so. Pretty simple if you pay attntion to what you're doing. One trick I learned was to pull the trans dipstick tube out so it's easier to get to the bolt that attaches the bracket and cable to the trans. The rest of it is pretty straight forward.

#10 ·
I believe a column shifter is easier, less routing of the cable. Did mine last week and it took me a while to figure out that the dipstick needed to be removed b4 rotating the filler tube...........boy did I feel like a heel! All in all it was a pretty simple job. The only ***** was the dumbass screws that hold the cable bracket on the steering column - they look like torx in reverse, the head looks like a bolt - I couldn't find a socket that would fit. Thank god for vise grips!

#11 ·
smmra said:
I believe a column shifter is easier, less routing of the cable. Did mine last week and it took me a while to figure out that the dipstick needed to be removed b4 rotating the filler tube...........boy did I feel like a heel! All in all it was a pretty simple job. The only ***** was the dumbass screws that hold the cable bracket on the steering column - they look like torx in reverse, the head looks like a bolt - I couldn't find a socket that would fit. Thank god for vise grips!
Not sure how difficult the floor shifter is to replace.

I removed the dipstick but was still unable to remove the tube. Rotating it was not a problem, removing it was.

As for the bolts on the column I just went and bought a set of metric torx sockets from sears $19.99, I believe it's a 8mm socket. I figure I'll be using them again so better have a set handy.

but if anyone needs advice on this project PM me and I can help you out. Along with

replacing the input output senors on the tranny
replacing the brake booster
replacing the camshaft position sensor.

I am looking into doing the water pump/timing chain soon but I gotta do my research first before I tackle that one

#27 ·
Not sure how difficult the floor shifter is to replace.

I removed the dipstick but was still unable to remove the tube. Rotating it was not a problem, removing it was.

As for the bolts on the column I just went and bought a set of metric torx sockets from dy.

but if anyone needs advice on this project PM me and I can help you out. Along with

replacing the input output senors on the tranny
replacing the brake booster
replacing the camshaft position sensor.

I am looking into doing the water pump/timing chain soon but I gotta do my research first before I tackle that one
I did the water pump an timing belt, its fairly easy actually. But everything you have to remove to get there thats a pita!! You can do it! I did and I'm a female that took notes on utube then went straight in. The hardest part for me was removing the harmonic balancer...I suggest to rent the more expensive tool rather than the cheaper one. It'll save you hours of frustration. You can also rent the tool to press it back on however I didn't I just tapped it with a mallet. Careful not to move the cams unless they're not aligned with TDC where if this is necessary be sure to check that your #1 piston is up after rotating the crank 2 revolutions whereas the cams will have turned 1 Bringing all three together as one (aligned with TDC)

#19 ·
The shifter cable issue is NOT covered by any recall.
Mopar Dewd said:
If anyone has changed a floor shifter cable let me know, need to get that done soon beefore i break the cable or bend anything...
I mentioned above that I replaced mine. It's not that difficult. It helps to get the car up in the air to give yourself room to wiggle...a lift would be ideal, but not necessary. First thing I did was remove the trans dipstick. From there, it's pretty straight forward if you take your time looking at how things are connected before you tear it all apart. Use the FSM as a guide!! Liek I said, once I looked things over, it took me about an hour to change mine out.

#21 ·
Alright, well I was going to replace the cable this saturday at my buddy's garage, but sure enough the car didn't want to wait that long... :(

She snapped on me last night, I am hoping to try and replace it tonight in my apartment's parking lot...

Any last minute advice is Always welcome? :)

#22 ·
Take the shifter bezel off and get a good look at how it's all put together. Maybe even take a picture. It's not complicated, but it could only help. Also pay attention to the routing of the cable from the firewall to the shifter. Getting the shifter end under the console is kind of a pain. The rest of it is pretty straight forward. Oh...and I'm assuming that you have the FSM downloaded? You will need the section on adjusting the shifter once you have it replaced.

#23 ·
In2Deep said:
Oh...and I'm assuming that you have the FSM downloaded? You will need the section on adjusting the shifter once you have it replaced.

Thanks for the input, but I actually dont have the FSM yet. Would you know where I could get a copy of that section?

It don't sound like too bad of a process, but I definelty intend on taking a few pics, and while i'm at it, i might as well go ahead and throw a step by step together...

Assuming i get it up and running :)

#25 ·
Mopar Dewd said:
Thanks for the input, but I actually dont have the FSM yet. Would you know where I could get a copy of that section?
You can download it here: http://www.dodgeintrepidchat.net/02lhe The section you'll need is 21-104 through 21-106
primetime said:
Good thing my tranny and engine will be out of the car for other reasons as I do the steering column shifter to autostick floor shifter conversion! Should make hooking up the cables alot easier!
Maybe, but you still have to make the connection once the trans gets put back in.

#26 · (Edited)
Alright, well I got in there tonight and the cable had come unhooked and bent hte peice its hooked on to... I'm gonna do the risky thing and try to wait till saturday to replace it when i get it up to my friend's garage...

they dont have a car hoist either, but their jack stands are better than my one jack would be... :)

I'll keep you all up todate and print off those pages at work - stupid printer here is messed up and i dont even wonna mess with it...

Thanks again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.