DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my valve caps are stuck on my tires!! their metal, i tried everything from wrenching it off and soaking it with liquid wrench and wd-40, and i tried twisting with a rag. i cant get these things off. could it be the heat? its like 51 degrees and its usually been about in the 20's-30's here an i think i put these on when it was cold out...idk but i do know that my tire needs air and i cant the the thing off!!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Dam never had that problem before. Sounds like they maybe rusted on.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Just an FYI

WD stands for Water Displacement.
It was designed for the army as a way of keeping moving parts from rusting by repelling water.
It does NOTHING for loosening bolts (or valve stem caps).

PB Blaster is the best (without it, my jeep wouldn;t be where it is today), Liquid Wrench sucks ass.

Could always try some vice grips

·
Registered
533 Posts
PB Blaster is a mechanics friend. /me loves PB Blaster. Wrap stem with rag (rubber part), grip lightly around cloth with pliers. Grap cap with vise grips, turn. Either you will get it off, or you will have to put in a new valve stem. Personally, I would just put in a new valve stem.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
jnutz is right on target. Right now as you try to twist off the cap I almost GUARANTEE you that the whole stem is turning. And yes, the temperature may have contributed to the problem, but so would that lovely grey coating that's all over everything this time of year.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Try the PB Fabulous Blaster like mentioned. Wally-world carries it here, not too expensive. About 5 bucks a can. It's not hard to miss on the shelf. Just look for a white aerosol can with what looks like about a thousand 1950's era advertisement slogans puked all over it.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got it off!! thanks to the help of JoeKD i used the heat gun i had and heated that sob up really hot and then i took the vice grips and it came right off, when i got it off it was all white and crap inside it.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Rice?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't mean to make anyone paranoid or anything, but I heard of a practical joke where someone would glue your valve caps on. That white stuff could be glue, but I can't say without looking at it myself.

·
Registered
533 Posts
When I worked at the tire shop, a guy smeared grease all over my toolbox, so I went out and pulled his valve cores, then handed them to me. He did not believe until he left that I had actually done that. We had a portable air tank so no big deal, but the look when he got to his car was priceless.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
off topic now, but PB blaster is definitely the best stuff ever..the fabulous blaster...and whatever 500 slogans are all over the can :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts