DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I have read about "limp mode"... My dodge intrepid sometimes wont go out of second gear, but if we stop and turn the car off for a moment then it will change gears again... Will it hurt to keep driving the car like that? Will it get worse? how long can you drive it before it wont go anymore? thanks

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
i wouldnt keep driving it.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
I wouldnt keep driving it either I would try and get it fixed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
transmission

hi, I have read about "limp mode"... My dodge intrepid sometimes wont go out of second gear, but if we stop and turn the car off for a moment then it will change gears again... Will it hurt to keep driving the car like that? Will it get worse? how long can you drive it before it wont go anymore? thanks
I would drive it to the shop and get it fixed. But, I don't think you will hurt it at all if it works okay most of the time, though. If it shifts after restarting the car it may be a computer thing and not something wrong internally with the mechanical parts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My '96 has been doing that for the last 2 yrs, primarily in cold weather. It began around 185K miles, I'm now at 229K. Starts in 1st, goes to 2nd and stays there until the ignition is turned off and the car re-started, then it usually (but not always, depending on how far it's been driven) goes thru the gears normally . Sometimes I need to do the off/re-start thing a second time. I don't think doing that has caused it to get worse any faster than it would have otherwise.
Transmission shop says it's the pump on mine and to fix it requires tearing trans down, therefore I need to do a complete rebuild.
Yours could be caused by completely different issues, though. I'd get it diagnosed at a REPUTABLE shop, and if they come up with an answer like I got (rebuild or replace), I'd just keep doing the key dance until you get tired of it. Don't think it's going to shorten the life of the tranny any further.

·
Registered
13,702 Posts
Cherokee is god's country. Check for input/out sensors-about $14.00 each and DIY. Checked your transmission fluid level?? Might be time for ATF/filter change. Those are the inexpensive items after that as the monkey said "this is running into money" as he pissed in the cash register drawer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
sensors

Cherokee is god's country. Check for input/out sensors-about $14.00 each and DIY. Checked your transmission fluid level?? Might be time for ATF/filter change. Those are the inexpensive items after that as the monkey said "this is running into money" as he pissed in the cash register drawer.
Shouldn't there be codes if its one of the sensors? Many of the parts places (AutoZone for sure) will read your codes for you and let you know the problem if a code has been stored . Always a good idea to check level and change fluid and filter regularly. I have changed my fluid and filter every 25-30000 miles and now have 130,000 miles. A transmission speed sensor was replaced at 25,000 miles under warranty back when. But that was not an intermittent problem, it went into "limp home" mode and was driveable only in second gear and would not shift out and didn't change.:beam:
:biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts