DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am replacing front rotors and pads on my 00 corde lx 2.7 w/o abs. This will be my first time doing this so please help me out.

As I understand it, after I complete my brake job after putting the wheels back on the front, I am to syphon all the brake fluid from the master cylinder with a turkey baster and pour in new DOT-3 brake fluid to the top. Then take off the rear right wheel and open the bleeder screw, attach a hose to it and the end submerged in new brake fluid in a clear container. Right before I turn the screw once I am to have my assistant pump the brake pedal several times and push it all the way down?

Then when I turn the bleeder screw the pedal will fall flat while the assistant is still pressing it down?

So then I guess the fluid will begin flowing out the hose and into the container until pressure is lost. Am I to close the bleeder screw then and have my assistant release the brake pedal. Then have her pump it a few more times and press it down, and once again turn the screw one turn and allow more brake fluid/air bubbles come out. Am I to repeat this at least 5 times on each wheel?

Also after each wheel I will add more new fluid to the master cylinder.

Please let me know if I have it on a lock-down hehe.

Thanks in advance!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,697 Posts
Youve got it! Keep an eye on the master cylinder fluid level, because it sucks when you are in the middle of bleeding the brakes and you run out! Have to start all over again...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 32intrepid,

I wanted to make sure im supposed to use DOT3, because thats what it says in the service manual. However while doing research online I found that DOT3 is for disc and drum systems, while DOT4 is for all disc brake systems. Well my corde has all disc brakes so should I get DOT4 for better performance?

Im starting in a few hours so If I don't get a reply I will go for the DOT3 just to be safe. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
If you put a piece of clear aquarium pump-type tubing on the bleed screw and submerge
the end of it it a pint jar that has a little brake fluid in it, you can watch the air come out, and it won't suck any air in on the pedal up-stroke. Also you can observe when the new fluid gets there, it'll be a lot clearer.
Still do the open-close routine the same...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts