DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just realised that my spare key (black) doesnt work. I got one transponder key. Is there any way to program a new one without paying a fortune to the dealer??

The black spare key came with the car when I bought it and I am sure it worked when I tried it the first time ( I used it the first week) but now the engine shuts off after a few sec when using it??
I know there are a lot of clever guys out there!! anyone figure this one out??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just figured out why the black key worked!!
It was on the same set of keys as the transponder key, the engine starts reading the transponder key not in use! does it make sense?

·
Registered
182 Posts
<<Just figured out why the black key worked!!
It was on the same set of keys as the transponder key, the engine starts reading the transponder key not in use! does it make sense?>>

Yes it makes sense. You should also know that if you use that MOBILE FAST PASS or whatever it is called, it can affect it also. If it is on the same key chain and next to the ignition, sometimes your car may not start. You know what it is, that FOB that you wave at the gas pump so you don't have to use a credit card.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
As long as a working transponder key is within about 3-4 inches of the ignition any properly cut key should work just fine. If you don't want to pay to have a new key made, you can always "bypass" the transponder by cutting off the head of the working transponder and placing it inside the steering column. Then any properly cut key will start the car fine...

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Yes it would. That's why I used the term "bypass" when I described it. But if someone doesn't want to spend the money on getting a new key and having it programmed this is a cheaper alternative...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts