DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this **** out...

On my drive to work this morning I noticed that my bass was crapping out (most likely my amp). I wasn't really listening to anything bassy and I didn't have time to **** with it since I was heading to work. So I will **** with it after I get home from work.

So I got home and went out to **** with it. I checked both fuses, they looked fine. I don't know how the first gens battery is located, but the second gens battery is underneath the engine and next to impossible to get to. So what they did to make it so you can jump start your engine, they added "extentions" to the battery (one for the positive and one for the negative).

Here is a pic of the positive "extension". (labeled battery + jump start)



The amp's power wire is hooked up to this "extension". So I wouldn't fry anything, I disconnected the amp from the battery when I took out the amp's fuse. Well, the fuse was fine and I didn't smell anything that would tell me the amp was fryed. I checked all the connections in case anything was loose. They checked out fine.

Well, it was cold out and it was dark so I gave up trying to figure out what was wrong with it until this weekend. So to be on the safe side and so I could still listen to some music, I left the amp disconnected from the battery. Well, I accidently left the inside dome lights on. I was sure that this didn't run down the battery, but just to be on the safe side I went to start the car. Oh oh. The car wouldn't start. I was like ****! I knew the battery still worked because my alarm worked and I could still play the stereo when I turned it to ACC. So for **** and giggles I reconnected the amp to the battery. Would you know it, the car ****ing started!!! What the ****!!!! I know for 100% sure that this is the amp's power wire I disconnected. This wire wasn't there when I bought the car because the amp wasn't there either.

So how the hell could disconnecting the amp's power wire from the battery effect the ignition system!!??

And to top it all off, what the hell is wrong with my amp!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-chase

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: Warlord187 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Warlord,

Thats one hell of a mystery. Who installed your amp?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,811 Posts
DAMN! thats some messed up ****! I wish i could tell ya whats wrong...that has to be the shittiest place for a battery...its very easy to get to on the first gen :rolleyes: :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
Actually guys the battery is really not that hard to get out. We at the plant do not remove it from the wheelwell. We just lift the air cleaner box out of the car (one screw on the air tube) and remove the hold down brkt(two bolts)that holds the battery in the tray. Then loosen and remove the the neg battery cable on the battery post , then just lift the battery up on its side and pull it out(its sealed so you wont spill the acid). Then once the battery is out you can loosen the positve cable. I can change a battery in 10 minutes. Takes a little longer if you have the battery heater blanket. If you do the wheel opening way it takes forever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
sounds like your amp is completing the ignition circuit and the ignition circuit is drawing so much power that the amp is under powered enough to loose the bass. maybe a blown ignition fuse or connection? some how your amp is on the same curcuit?
my guess anyway
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
also do you have it wired that the amp only works when the ignition switch is on? sounds like it is wired incorrectly or draws too much power if so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by darkside:
Warlord,

Thats one hell of a mystery. Who installed your amp?
Mickey Shores installed it.

The amp has been working very well since summer. The amp isn't the best in the world so I figured it just crapped out on me. Than I discovered the starting mystery. I will have to take a more closer look at things, but from what I already saw, the amp's power wire is only connected to the amp. There doesn't appear to be any splicing (if there was I would go back to Mickey Shores and raise holy hell).

I will check the ignition fuse in the fuse box later today.

The amp will work fine (well, until yesterday) if I just have the electrical running. I didn't have to start the car to have the amp work.

Happy, happy holidays for me.... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Originally posted by ottowrkr:
Actually guys the battery is really not that hard to get out. We at the plant do not remove it from the wheelwell. We just lift the air cleaner box out of the car (one screw on the air tube) and remove the hold down brkt(two bolts)that holds the battery in the tray. Then loosen and remove the the neg battery cable on the battery post , then just lift the battery up on its side and pull it out(its sealed so you wont spill the acid). Then once the battery is out you can loosen the positve cable. I can change a battery in 10 minutes. Takes a little longer if you have the battery heater blanket. If you do the wheel opening way it takes forever.

Sounds like a good "How-to" Tip for whoever is posting stuff there. All I've ever seen/heard talked about is going through the wheel well. Doesn't sound like something to trust Sears to do.
:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know, my ability to problem solve is one of the things that makes me an excellent engineer. :D

It turns out that the bolt on the positive "extension" needs to be as tight as possible. For some stupid reason this makes an electrical connection which allows the engine to start. Very, very weird.

As for what is wrong with my bass, I think the amp crapped out on me.

Who's yer daddy!!! :D

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: Warlord187 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
First of all How big is your amp. Because I think that you would really have to be bumping the music to blow your amp. I think that one of your connecting wires is loose or burned depending on where you run your wires from. But I doubt that you shot your amp.

But hey what do I know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Originally posted by Warlord187:
Who's yer daddy!!! :D
That would be me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by lilgroby:
First of all How big is your amp. Because I think that you would really have to be bumping the music to blow your amp. I think that one of your connecting wires is loose or burned depending on where you run your wires from. But I doubt that you shot your amp.

But hey what do I know.
I've had lower quality amps blow on me for no reason other than they were **** before. The Sony I'm running now isn't the best amp out there, but I already had it so I figured I would use it until it blew. It's 75x2 RMS, but I have it bridged to one sub so it's pushing 200x1 RMS.

I've checked all the wires and connections and they were all fine. Well, I didn't check the wires behind the deck. The amp is getting power. The power/protection light is on when I power up the system. But, there are two LED strips (a left & right channel) that tell you the power output of the amp. Those are not being turned on. So, I believe the amp is in protection mode.

Damn I miss my bass! :D What a good time to loose the bass when I'll be getting some new CDs for x-mas. :)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top