DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of the bolts that holds the inner tie rod to the power steering rack has been broken off with part of it still inside the power steering rack, is there any way to get that bolt out? or do I have to replace the entire power steering rack? Also does anyone know how it would be possible for that bolt to break off inside the rack like that?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Step 1 Pull Engine........

There are ways, but none that I know of that can be used in such close quarters. With the rack out of the car any machine shop can take care of it. You might even luck out and be able to back it out with a cordless drill and a left handed drill bit.
But in the car??

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think i had the same problem with my trep....i dont kno if it was a bolt but something was rattling in the steering rack... change the whole damn thing!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we are working on pulling the whole steering rack right now, hopefully once its out i can get a bolt or screw extractor in there to get the damned thing out. nothing wrong with the rack itself, just that damned bolt.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Advance has a kit that is COMPLETE with bolts, O'Reilly's has an equivalent.
HB1883K (TRW) 11.88 is what it goes for up here.
If you can score some left handed drill bits, this might go a lot quicker once you get the rack out.
Also, most shops cut the boot over the rack to column coupling because it's a witch with a capital B to hold back & drive out the pin. One more thing, make very sure the rack and the column go back together at the same position. If you fail to do so, the clockspring in the column will need to be centered. If you fail to do that, the clockspring will fail with these symptoms; horn honks going around corners, airbag light is on, no cruise control. Go ahead, ask me how I know that......

Edit: another recent post that has useful info...
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1238775&postcount=8

·
Registered
510 Posts
That's twice I've done that.....

I assumed you're working on a first gen. If not, ignore the part numbers, I don't know if they're correct. Everything else should be valid....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts