DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Crysler New Yorker with a 3,5 engine that is having problems. It acts like it is not getting any gas and it is not getting fire to the plugs. The check engine light won't come on so that we can get a code from it. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and the crank sensor. What else could it be and how do I check it?
Thanks
Kathy

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,441 Posts
Check and see if your check engine light comes on when you turn the key forward, to the on position. If it doesnt, your ecm is brain dead, or has a bad ground or no power to it. If the check engine light does come on, do your basic checks for fuel and spark. Try some ether in the intake while you have someone crank it. If it fires, this tells you you have spark, and not fuel. Go from there. If it doesnt, pull a spark plug and see if its wet with gas-- or get a spark tester. If it is wet with gas, you dont have spark. That could be crank sensor or a coil. Also, your fuel pump and ASD relays could cause a no-start.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
So far you've not diagnoised much. A car with no spark will crank the same as a car with no fuel.

Place a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail OR pull a spark plug wire and leave the end about a 1/4" away from the engine. Report back with results.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,441 Posts
jfsram said:
So far you've not diagnoised much. A car with no spark will crank the same as a car with no fuel.

Place a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail OR pull a spark plug wire and leave the end about a 1/4" away from the engine. Report back with results.

That is why you would spray either into the intake. If it fires on that, but not on its own, that tells you there is no fuel. If you pull a plug, and its soaked in gasoline, that tells you that you have fuel, and not spark, hence the plug would not be soaked if you had spark, and it would run. A spark tester would help here. Fuel pressure gauge would be the best way to check fuel, but doing it that way is easier than spending $30 on a pressure gauge. She says also there is no check engine light. If the light doesnt come on during the bulb check when the key is turned on, either the bulb is burned out or the ecm isnt turning it on, hence, ecm fault.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
95 New yorker won't crank

Hi
Thanks for all the info. It still won't crank. WE sprayed ether in it and it fired. What could cause the fuel pump relay from kicking in besides being bad.Are the relays interchangeable. They all have the same numbers on them. What is an ASD Relay and where is it at? Is there a way of checking it without buying one?
Thanks
Kathy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.