DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey GUY'S anyone have any knowledge about a 1997 dodge caravan ? 3.3 I start the van everything runs great idle is perfect, but when I step on the gas it hesitates and sometimes backfires through the intake !!! Oh the van has 87,000 miles not sure when if ever the plugs have been done, i have owned the van since about 10 yrs, and my wife only puts about 5k in a yr... Please help any info GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dudly it is a 97 van. The key dance is different than the M. When you do the key dance, the service enginge soon flashes. Instead of giving an actual code, it flashes a code ex service engine soon light flashes 1, pauses flashes 2, pauses 5 155. I am guessing 125155 is the code. Can u give me a call? 630-398-1392. It's louie.

·
Dain bramaged
7,203 Posts
Standard chyrsler key dance flash codes..

12 battery disconnected in last 50ish starts
51 - lean condition detected
55 end of codes.

When driving around do you get an engine light?

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
get the fuel pressure checked, if its low , it will do just what your describing, its LEAN

also things to check, map sensor, fuel filter,
fuel presssure wont toss a code, maybe a lean code once in a while, as the map sensor, unless its way off, no code,, sucks dont it?

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
just thought of something else,, a clogged cat, long shot, but, you can always pull out the 02 sensor and see how it runs,, note: its gonna be noisy

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Because of the rain the last day, was not able to do much. I did install new spark plugs(whata fn *****) started the car idles perfect. With the car in park hit the gas, and hesitates and back fires through the intake. Tried disconnecting the electrical connection on the o2 sensor did not help. I think possibly having a timing issue. Does anyone know how to check the timing? Also, thinking of replacing the cam sensor? Does that make any sense? Please help really need to get the van going! Losing my patients dont have any hair to pull out! TIA Really dont need any unnecessary out of pocket expenses.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Because of the rain the last day, was not able to do much. I did install new spark plugs(whata fn *****) started the car idles perfect. With the car in park hit the gas, and hesitates and back fires through the intake. Tried disconnecting the electrical connection on the o2 sensor did not help. I think possibly having a timing issue. Does anyone know how to check the timing? Also, thinking of replacing the cam sensor? Does that make any sense? Please help really need to get the van going! Losing my patients dont have any hair to pull out! TIA Really dont need any unnecessary out of pocket expenses.
usually when an engine barks out of the induction its timing...timing belt jumped a tooth or two. Do not know anything about 3.3's or even how to tell you to check the timing. But I know who can help you.
Daytrepper is the man!! Hopefully he'll see this and respond.

·
Registered
244 Posts
usually when an engine barks out of the induction its timing...timing belt jumped a tooth or two. Do not know anything about 3.3's or even how to tell you to check the timing. But I know who can help you.
Daytrepper is the man!! Hopefully he'll see this and respond.
I think if a cam sensor went tits-up, it would not start at all.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think if a cam sensor went tits-up, it would not start at all.
How may miles are on the timing belt. Six years or 70,000 is about all you get out of them. If you get anymore...youre on borrowed time.

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
Its 3.3,, no Timing belt,, its a chain,, and it would have to have a hell of a lot more miles on it to even think of jumping,
im telling you,, check your fuel pressure

1 - 20 of 29 Posts