DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
9,861 Posts
The main issue looks to be height, from what I've mesured.

From bottom of crank to top: 25.5"(hemi) vs 19-20" (1g 3.5).

What gives the hemi that extra 5"-6" is that thing in the middle of the plenum. Apears to be a part of the plenum, and the throttle body.

Width looked like it should fit. Might just bump in to a few things that can be moved.

·
9,861 Posts
A better picture of the main issue:

Now that I look at it from this angle, the A/C and alt MIGHT hit the hood.

Is that coil on/near plug that I see?

·
Registered
21 Posts
So say it fits. Does that mean a conversion to rear wheel drive is in order. I don't think the car would go anywhere fast because the wheels would be burning out when you stomp on it. I remember that the 1st Gens where designed by Chrysler to be easily converted to rear wheel drive. I don't know if they did that for the 2nd Gens.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The other thing I wonder about is the firewall, can the trans fit into it without having to cut it and fab a new hump. That would be a major task. I keep looking for a picture of the concept Chargers rear suspension to see how they did the RWD, since it's built on the LH platform. I think there was a cutaway picture in one of the mags but I haven't found it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
A Hemi under the hood of my 1st gen Concorde?????? Oh how sweet can that be!!!! Please help with more info!!!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Maybe this would fit better. Less on the top!

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Maybe this would fit better. Less on the top!
You would still need to fabricate an air induction system to go on top of that, but if the issue is hood clearance a custom hood as mentioned earlier or a scoop of some kind should eliminate claerance issues.

·
Registered
247 Posts
wow! and thats a big wow! how much would either of those crate engines cost? this might be the thing to keep me from selling my car for somthing with a bit more speed.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Yes hypnos, thats coil on plug you see. And I believe that they also have 2 spark plugs per cylinder. Neat.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
CloneNo2111 said:
wow! and thats a big wow! how much would either of those crate engines cost? this might be the thing to keep me from selling my car for somthing with a bit more speed.
Don't know what the 5.7L Hemi is going for ... the 505HP stroked 440 runs $10K list (~$9K street) with no induction or exhaust (you provide the intake, carb, & headers).
I don't want to talk about the crate "426" Hemi ... :eek:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
woah. 5.7 HEMI. that looks mighty sweet to me....

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A Crate Hemi is approx $6400. And electronics doesn't have to be a problem. You can order a carbed version. Although the EFI is much better IMHO.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lafrad said:
woah. 5.7 HEMI. that looks mighty sweet to me....
And mighty huge to me...hah, this is the <30mph-in-the-city driver talking.....:rolleyes:

I don't know too too much about technical stuff like drivetrain design and such but RWD looks very easy (with some metal fab, of course, and a rear end).............but what about the gas tank? Either you'd use a fuel cell or do some creative plastic molding....

I might try a 4.7 or something one day....was toying w/the idea.........5 speed too :p

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Are all these Hemi's the same? I only say this becasue the local insurance yard got a RAM with a Hemi recently, and they quoted me around 3000 plus or minus for the engine with 11K.

--Gorm

·
9,861 Posts
The 5.7s in the ram should be identical, if not the exact same as the LX ones.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts