DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking wouldn't it be awesome to have the 345 horse hemi in an intrepid? You could pick up a used intrepid with a blown 2.7 cheap and then find a wrecked truck with a hemi and transfer the parts. Do you think you would have to make it rear wheel drive, or could it somehow all be shoehorned in to the engine comparment and keep it front wheel drive? Maybe that would make it to heavy in the front. I suppose it would be hard to mate the hemi to the stock intrepid tranny and it probably wouldn't take the torque anyway. Sure would be a quick ride though with another 130 horses over the es. What's the redline on lthe hemi, anybody know?

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
do you realize how hard it actually is to transplant the hemi, read this month's hot rod and they show how hard it is to put it in a muscle car, that is already RWD, whcih you would have to make the trep to fit the hemi, its a pain

·
Registered
109 Posts
I dont care how hard it is to do, as soon as I win the lottery thats the first thing im doing before i buy any other cars. That will be a great day for me and the Trep

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
i have a first gen with a blown engine and transmission....and a big block engine....i'm halfway there :D

·
Registered
475 Posts
if i win the lottery, im sure as **** not going to be doing a bucher job on two cars to get some weird hybrid that will break every 100 miles.

No wait, yes I would, and i would put it on tv like Rides or Monster Garage.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nah!

If you win the lottery you might as well go with a dodge Nascar engine.

750 HP!!!! :eek:

And then either turbo charge or supercharge that bad boy.

That would be more fun than the HEMI.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah that would be good to, but I don't know how streetable that would be. I know this wouldn't be an easy project, but I thought it would be an interesting topic. Who knows it might be worth a try, at least take some measurements and toss some ideas around. It sure would be a head turner and I know the performance would equal some of the old muscle cars. This body style just looks fast sitting there and if you added some real horsepower, wow, what fun.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
just curious, what rear axle would you use, what transmission would you use, what shifter would you use, and how would you cool it, there isnt enough room in the front of the engine bay for the radiator it requires or the fan to pull air through it, not to mention the hood wouldnt close because of its scoop, just get a damn magnum or 300c

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
The idea is actually doable especially if you're familiar with the workings of both the Hemi and the Trep. I've actually discussed doin a rear drive Trep with a friend of mine as a promotional vehicle for his shop. He's in the process of buying a 2nd gen Trep shell. So far we've tossed around the idea of a 440, 340 and the 5.7 Hemi.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
dont worry about that, ill be getting my hemi intrepid back tomorrow sometime, and ill post my pics from it....

:baaa:

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
YB-im sure you could pull it off since you build the cars for a living, and everything is doable, it just takes more money, i would think an 8 3/4 would be the best rear axle for it, since they are in abundance and can be easily narrowed if need be

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
YB - I thought the 340 would be a good fit also. With a 727 tranny, not too heavy, that thing should cook. Especially with fuel injection. I always liked that motor, quick right out of the box.

If you do the rwd conversion keep us informed.

I know Dodge announced when the lh cars came out that the were designed with 'dual purpose' architecture, i.e. they said it could easily switch from fwd to rwd.

I imagine someone from engineering could be a big help.

Probably get arrested though.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Right now it's just a thought. He is getting a Trep shell but before he gets into the powertrain a decision has to be made on the styling, Pro Street, Nascar, retro, etc.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
i love the 340, thats what is in my duster, with a 727 and shift kit behind it, there's a reason the 340 was the performance small block, especially in 68 when it had the X heads, whcih mine has, cuz its a 68 engine, and noone sees the X unless they look for it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well right now a stock intepid had the v-6 in there front to back, not transverse like most front wheel drives. So I think the engine compartment is bigger than most because of this. I think the 8 -3/4 rear end would be good, cheap, easy to find,strong.
The 5.7 hemi is 345 cubic inches that's real close to the old 340 although the 340 had a bigger bore and shorter stroke that's why it revved so readily. The 340 really was a great motor, in a challenger or road runner it was hard to beat. It gave a 383 or a 440 a real hard time and could occasionally beat either one of those engines. Well anyway, I don't know if there would be eonugh room for the transmission. The tunnel is there for the drive shaft, but there might not be enough of room at the firewall for the transmission. And if you move things too far forward it will be too heavy in front. Next weekend I will have some time to look at this closer and see what kind of room there is. I also need to get some dimensions of the power train but I should be able to find that online.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
YB Normyl said:
The idea is actually doable especially if you're familiar with the workings of both the Hemi and the Trep. I've actually discussed doin a rear drive Trep with a friend of mine as a promotional vehicle for his shop. He's in the process of buying a 2nd gen Trep shell. So far we've tossed around the idea of a 440, 340 and the 5.7 Hemi.
Would you really save that much weight building a 340 instead of a 360? I agree that the 340 was a kick engine but isn't the 340 & 360 block more or less the same - at least as far as the outer dimensions? And with many crate engines to choose from (up to 395HP) and who knows how many after-market parts, it seems like you would have your choice of power arrangements.

I still vote for the 5.7L Hemi - if it'll fit as well as the LA engine. It would have the name recognition going for it, which might be better for a "promo" ...

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you were able to somehow shoehorn a Hemi underneath the Intrepid's ultra-low cowl and hood without dragging the oil pan on the pavement, you'd still have to deal with the weight of a big pushrod iron-block V8 over the front tires, resulting in a hideous weight distribution, probably in the neighborhood of 70/30. The steering components would probably have an even shorter lifespan than they already have, and you'd have worse understeer than anything this side of a '72 Cadillac with 5 pounds of air in the front tires.

But hey, anything's possible!:D

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
It'll definitely take alot of work but this won't be a daily driver. So the setup wouldn't be much different than the old muscle car's weight distribution.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
all the small blocks are the same size, but the 340 always had better heads, but if you go aftermarket, its all about the same, but if you want six pack, you can only go 340, and the 340 came from the factory with a forged crank, and other go fast goodies thr 360 never got, but the 340 bore\stroke is 4.04/3.31 where the 360 is 4.00/3.58

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
mbtech208 said:
If you were able to somehow shoehorn a Hemi underneath the Intrepid's ultra-low cowl and hood without dragging the oil pan on the pavement, you'd still have to deal with the weight of a big pushrod iron-block V8 over the front tires, resulting in a hideous weight distribution, probably in the neighborhood of 70/30. The steering components would probably have an even shorter lifespan than they already have, and you'd have worse understeer than anything this side of a '72 Cadillac with 5 pounds of air in the front tires.

But hey, anything's possible!:D
Dont forget, that the drive axles will be in the back, resulting in a nice 200 pound differential being placed back there, with a transmission running through the tunnel, or they could go and put a prowler transaxle in and move all of the weight of the trans and rear axle to the back, plus if they were going to spend all this money on it, they could just go dry-sump, and they could always relocate the battery to the trunk, moving another 30-40 pounds back there, and do you realize what the weight distribution on the trep is now? its 62/38 or there about so it probably wouldnt change much, and if they use aluminum heads, intake, and such, that helps reduce engine weight even more, accounting for about 40 pounds, that will be off the front

1 - 20 of 32 Posts