DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this post at an LH Enthusiast site on Yahoo. Yahoo Clubs

Apparently he made an interesting setup on his 1995 LHS with a 3.5L. He slapped on TWO K&N filters directly on the throttle bodies and cut holes in his hood. He then put hood scoupes over them. I believe he is over estimating the horsepower though.

Here's the post... if you can't find it on there.

I have a 95 New Yorker 3.5L that I've modified a little bit. I took off all the stock aspiration
from the fender to the intake manifold and threw it in the garbage where it belongs. Then I installed two K&N oval cone filters directly on the throttle bodies. Then I cut two 5-inch diameter holes in the hood with a dremel (my neighbor thought I was insane), and slapped a pair of Lund hood scoops over the holes. They were actually made for a Ford F-150 but they look pretty tight on my sled. These were intended to be for cosmetics only,but I'd already broken every other rule of luxury car owners' ettiquette, so I cut big holes in the fronts of the scoops too(via Mr. dremel tool) to make it fully functional RAM-AIR induction. I'm now fabricating a pair of intake filter boxes out of fiberglass to complete the system. Then I can slap the RAM-AIR badges on it with a clear conscience. This aspiration system
cost me a little torque off the line, but repaid me two-fold in HP between 3k and 6k rpm. My local K&N parts rep. estimated a 30 hp increase. I'm not at all reluctant to agree with him. She really puts ya back into the buckets at the middle of each gear. Runs right at 100mph in the mid fourteens at the strip. Not bad for a stock six in a 2-ton grocery-getter. G-tech Pro put it at 265hp.
Should be 350-400 when I'm done. Doing a 2 1/2" dual exhaust next month. I plan to throw a bottle at it eventually. Will try to get some pictures up this week. I'll title them "95 New Yorker LHS/S".
Well that's the route I took to higher HP. It's not for every one, just those who don't mind taking a grinder to a perfectly good hood. That's all for now.

Good Luck,
Dallas

·
Registered
562 Posts
I wanna see pics!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would probably be best to try it on a test hood. Maybe the junkyard can hook you up cheap. That way you won't ruin your good hood and you can experiment with several designs.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Yes, I was thinking of getting a junk hood. But one of the challenges is to find out what the right length of tubing to use for the intake will be. Since I don't know a whole lot about ram air and such, I'm not sure how to seal it so water doesn't get into the air intake. It's a challenge. I like challenges! :)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If you are worried about water getting in your scoops, maybe reversing them would do the trick. Scoops work more efficient picking up air from the low pressure area at the base of the windshield rather than trying to suck air facing forward because of the static boundry air layer over the hood of the car. Chevy found this out back in the sixties. Thats why the camaros, chevelles, etc. had the hood bulge with the scoop in the back. ;)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i actually considered doing this mod when researching intakes. i am still thinking about it. i hate to cut in that pretty platinum paint though...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I doubt this ram-air mod would get us in the mid- 14's in the 1/4mile when our car's stock do 16.6s unless he has and engine back exhaust.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
From the looks of it, I don't see any bleeder valves, so I don't think there's anything to stop water from getting to the filters, and the guy doesn't mention anything about water.

Not very safe

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
hmm, would one of those filters work on a 2nd gen? something to look into.. and as for water should not be too bad he is just throwing air into the engine bay, water through the scoops should not be too much trouble because the filter is soo far back in the bay.

·
Registered
533 Posts
So am I the only one who thought about what he said it did for performance? Anyone who reads or knows about cars knows that freeing up exhaust frees hp, but cuts torque. On the other hand freeing intake increases torque. So why does he say it cuts torque. It would be a decent mod with some work, but it would have more of a torque increase than a hp. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
His car doesn't look too bad, I've seen worse. I don't like the back of it though. The spoiler looks out of place on that smooth rear end.

I posted a message on the board inviting those guys to come over here. Hopefully, users like dobbins92 will come and share info on projects such as this. Maybe we can get some of the kinks worked out on this mod. :D

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Black94ES:
I doubt this ram-air mod would get us in the mid- 14's in the 1/4mile when our car's stock do 16.6s unless he has and engine back exhaust.
I didn't think so either. Maybe after he does this...
Doing a 2 1/2" dual exhaust next month. I plan to throw a bottle at it eventually.
:)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ok lets analyze this just shortly. That new yorker did weigh more than a trep/concorde by about 100 to 200 lbs due to a longer body and interior options. So he has lost a tenth or so to us already in the 1/4. I'm suppose to believe first of all that his ram air did 30 hp, lets say he got that, heck i'll give him 100 hp off of it!! Lets even be generous and say he could have run a 16.5 bone stock. So, 100 hp most of you know would make that car run about 15.5, but he's telling me he cut two whole seconds with 30hp? If you believe that your on something or this guy's track is messed up. Your not going to go from mid 80's trap speed to 100's with 30hp good lord. So his thought is take an LHS add 30 hp and I cut two seconds instantly and can run faster than a GTP with more torque, weighs less, and more efficient driveline? SURE whatever you want to believe be my guest. I am not against his mod thats pretty unique and damn took some nuts and a lot of thought. I have no urge to cut my hood for some reason and but scoops on an intrepid, that really looks out of place. Thats why I'm going to keep my nice hood and run my scoop under the car and be just fine and not have to go crazy. Will I turn mid 14's with the work I've done and my intake HELL NO!!! Do I wish, of course, but thats a wish. Most of you on here will agree with this and the other half won't and thats nice. All I have to say is go to a track, film it and bring the slip. And yes I have seen people in person bring me a slip with a good time and then to find out it was the dude in the other lane he was claiming as his. So slips mean nothing unless in person, temp, bar. pressure, dewpoint, elevation and track conditions are all known. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have to agree with Corey on this one. Those cars have quite a bit more weight to them than the standard LH vehicles.

I was going to attempt to make a fiberglass mold of my hood this summer and massage in a 1-2 inch rise into the middle of the hood, ala the Cowl Induction hoods on many muscle cars of the past (ie. my 1970 Chevelle) and make a filter box that would actually be part of the hood and a matting box that would reside on the top of the engine and hook up to the throttle bodies. That was my latest idea on the whole intake modification thing. The only problem is that I would possibly be pulled out of the sleeper catagory and probably get more attention from people who actually have what it takes to beat our cars if I made it too tall.

Let me know what you think on the whole Cowl Induction hood idea.

Later,

[ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: swartlkk ]

·
Registered
587 Posts
I also agree with Corey. I forget where the heck I saw it, but I saw a wind tunnel diagram of the intrepid, and there isn't all that much airflow going over the top of the hood, that would give you much of an increase in HP. Now, a reverse cowl, facing the window, I'm not sure about. But what I do know, according to this wind tunnel diagram, is that a lot of air hits the front of the car where the lights, bumper, and fog lights are. I believe this is one reason why Corey is putting the ram air intake under his car. So, if you're willing to move your PCM and Evap can, and pop out your fog lights, and cut a hole in the metal wall behind the fog light opening, you can create a ram air system that works fairly well. You might even try using both fog lights, and routing a duct to each throttle body, but this would be pretty difficult. But heck, if you wanna try, go ahead. I might do it if I can figure out the design kinks...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Originally posted by jnutz:
So am I the only one who thought about what he said it did for performance? Anyone who reads or knows about cars knows that freeing up exhaust frees hp, but cuts torque. On the other hand freeing intake increases torque. So why does he say it cuts torque. It would be a decent mod with some work, but it would have more of a torque increase than a hp. Just my two cents.

To my knowledge an exhaust takes away only low end torque, which really sucks for normal driving. You'll loose a lot more torque from the exhaust then you will gain from the intake.

I'm not too sure about the intake increasing torque, I always thought it increased hp more than torque

[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: Black94ES ]

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I think his G-tech is mess up may be mid 15`s 1/4 miles. No way mid 14`s unless he has Nos hidden some where. I am getting a shaker hood scoop for my 2000 R/T. Hope to get it done this April or May. If you get the hood scoop obove the hood more than a 1 1/4. You get into the clean air and above the static bounndry layer and it works very well. This why the 1969 Road Runners and Super Bee`s , and 1970 Challenger T/A`s had such tall scoops. Chrysler found this out in the late 60`s in the wind tunnels. I have heard the low pressure in the new Intrepids are not very good do to the areo shape. I looked in my old Mopar Mags on 1/4 mile times and the best increase was 2 1/2 miles mph and from 13.88 to 13.67 in a 69 Hemi Super Bee. I think the best he could get would be about 5 to 10 hp with the scoops and KN`s. My 2 cents .

·
Registered
530 Posts
5 to 10 hp still not mid 15's period. He could run that 100 shot of NOS and just might break into the 14's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts