DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*pours a shot of Rumple Minze* \_/

To all of us 2.7L owners, here's hoping we beat the decidedly negative odds... and that our engines last as long as we need them to.

*drinks the shot*

(no, I'm not kidding.. I actually did this)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yeah i took a shot. Then i passed out in the driveway and the goddamn car rolled over me. I always knew it had it out for me...

Good luck to all you other SE's out there. Just keep an eye on your oil, if your oil light flickers on, or if you hear any strange engine noise, STOP DRIVING. Get it towed, and have it cleaned out. You don't wanna get stuck with buying a new engine like I am. I love the trep, but you can only love it so much when it sets your family back as much as it did to me.

-Adam

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
You know, we used to have an old lawnmower that never liked to start (it was a pushmower.) You could pull-start it 30 times, only to have it shoot smoke out of the exhaust. One day, it pissed me off so much that I jumped on top of the engine. Started right up. From that day forward, I was forced to jump on top of the engine to get it started, and it always fired right up once I did so. Just thought that might help.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
(I'm telling the truth here)... everynight before I crawl into bed I pray for my SE's safety. Both internally, and externally.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
This would be the one thread that no one will say that their engine is better than the 2.7, cause they don't want to jinx themselves. No 2.7 bashing from me!!!! *knock on wood*

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I have a lot of worries the engine in my car is not one of them... even if I had a 2.7 I still have better things to worry about.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
the best way to prevent those problems in the 2.7 is to goto synthetic oil right away. the main cause for failure is a "sludging" problem, where the regular oil gets all crappy and blocks oil passages/clogs the oil pump. Synthetic is MUCH less prone to sludge.... and it also lubricates the engine better, you burn less, you can go longer between oil changes..... there is no real reason besides cost than to fill with synth... and the cost is not really much more than an extra tank of gas.... WELL worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Do you guys thing that flushing the engine with the BILLSTEIN engine flush system will prevent the sludge from happening?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
INTREPER said:
Do you guys thing that flushing the engine with the BILLSTEIN engine flush system will prevent the sludge from happening?
Just fill with synthetic next time. it has enough cleaning properties in it to get rid of any sludge that might have already built up.... AND it is a mopar/dealer CERTIFIED fluid to put in the engine.. so you won't be hurting any warrenties or anything

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Oh, and I forgot....Here's to the smartest and strongest little V6 that I know! (takes a shot of home made tequila)

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
INTREPER said:
Oh, and I forgot....Here's to the smartest and strongest little V6 that I know! (takes a shot of home made tequila)
Why are you talking about the 2.5L V6 in the Probe GT on this board? Oh you mean that 2.7 with the high failure rate... Good luck hombre ;)... you'll need it!

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Yeah , the same for the BMW M3, the Taurus, Taurus SHO,
Toyota 4 & 6 cyl. Honda's too and their trannies ad nauseum (the Probes were known for blowing cylinder heads, know 4 people who that happened to - all within the warranty - all fought Ford for repair cost. None of them got it). etc. etc.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Do you enjoy making up stories? I was a member of a Ford Probe board like this one and I never heard of anyone's cylinder heads blowing

·
Registered
429 Posts
Lafrad said:
the best way to prevent those problems in the 2.7 is to goto synthetic oil right away. the main cause for failure is a "sludging" problem, where the regular oil gets all crappy and blocks oil passages/clogs the oil pump.
I wouldn't conclude that using Synthetic oil will miraculously rid an engine of sludge.

·
Registered
429 Posts
skyst3alth said:

If you mean the 2.7, i'll send you the bill when i'm done :)

-Adam
I read your posts and I'm really sorry that you had to go through that BS. That is very disturbing.

I guess you're out of warranty but I would still persue DC for some assistance. At least your case would be documented if any class action materializes in the future.
That is just unacceptable for an engine to fail that prematurely. The other day I searched eBay for "Blown Engine" to prove that there are many cars with premature engine failures out there. Of the 5 cars I found, the only one under 150k miles was an Intrepid 2.7 (with about 50k). So much for that theory.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
IntrepidDude said:

I wouldn't conclude that using Synthetic oil will miraculously rid an engine of sludge.
very true
but it is a step in the right direction.
it *can* remove slight sludge buildup already there too.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts