DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o.k. so here's my question... I have a 1996 Intrepid 3.3L Drives like a champ, and is a great car, but one thing concerns me. When driving, and I come to a stop I feel a jerking, like the tranny is just catching up with me, and stopping. If I dont feel this jerk,a nd try to go too soon after I stop, It's like it's in nuetral, until it kicks into gear. One guy told me that this was perfectly normal for all Chrysler vehicles, I don't think that sounds right. Also, sometimes when starting the car, it seems sluggish to start, as if there was low power, but then it kicks right over after a seconds worth of hesitation. any help here could be greatly appreciated, feel free to email me [email protected]

:frenzy:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Classic tranny problem. I had that happen to me while under factory warranty. Its not normal, it needs to be fixed.
I can’t find the paperwork for mine but they had to replace something and do the usual flush, new fluid etc. They flashed the firmware too.
Try to go easy on her at the stops until you can get it to the shop.

-GB49

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
1st gen, theres really not much they can do for it usually, occasionally there is actually somethign wrong, but most of the time, it is just a phantom problem. (it does it, but everyone will be damned if they know why!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help... I have talked to several different people about this problem, andhave never gotten the same response. Most people tell me that alot of Intrepid first Generation Trannys do it, but then not to worry about it, and on the other hand, others say its a bad thng, to get it fxed right away. I need to make sure that the car will hold up from Florida to Illinois, that is my main concern, after that, Ill have a new tranny installed. I wonder if it could be as simple as an oxygen sensor?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine is doing the exact same thing, but it only started after I had the transmission flushed and ATF+4 added by the dealer. This though did correct some major problems I was having with the tranny, in that it was consistently going into limp mode, and then kicking into neutral when it got hot. I am happy to live with this trade-off! Is it possible that the ATF+4 is a bit much for these transmissions, and creates too much friction? Maybe the ATF+3 would be a better fluid for them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
My '93 Eagle Vision w/the 3.5L did something similar. Happened at low rpm's. Both starting from a stop and slowing down. Turned out that my torque converter had gone bad. Had my transmission rebuilt. Problem disappeared.

I'd suggest that it wouldn't be prudent to make a long trip intil the issue has been resolved. You don't want to break down in an unfamiliar place and have to be towed into a strange transmission place for a total transmission rebuild. Wouldn't be a fun experience.

Edmonds17

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine has been about a year since the fluid and filter, and only 5 or 6 thousand kilometers (about 3500 miles). It starts happening after the transmission has warmed up. I bought a secondary cooler last year, that I have yet to install, and am hoping this will help some. Is anybody using the ATF+3 with success?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmmm, interesting commentary on this issue. I may just end up taking it to AAmco, or the like just to be on the safe side. It runs strong,a nd the tranny doesn't give me any problems other than the jerking stop. I have other issues I have to resolve in a months time before the move as well, such as the cluster not working, and the radio too, due to a previous underdash short or fire from the previous owner, and to make sure the motor is sound. I'll bet the motor will keep me going for a long time to come, as it purrs like a kitten now. Just worried about the tranny. I heard soemwhere that a 2nd Generation trnny could be installed in a 1st generation vehicle to kill all tranny problems, any truth to this? What's the difference in the trannys?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts