DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guys new to the board here im about to embark on buying 96 intrepid it is the base model with the 3.3 motor this car has nothing fancy i t came from an estate sale with only 37000 miles had a car fax report on it interior looks fabulous paint stills shines any way they want $4000 for it is there anything i should be aware of with these intrepids just looking for past experiance since this car is so old

thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
Only 37,000?!?!? That's a find. :biggrin:. Welcome to the site, firstly. As for the first gens, particularly the 3.3 (I've a '95), they are tanks, IMO. Anything shy of dropping a stick of dynamite in the engine bay, and it'll run, at least in my experience. The only problems I've really had are hub assemblies. cv joints, and rack bushings, which isn't much. However, mine has about 100,000 more miles than yours. Enjoy, and post some pics.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hi welcome to the board.

$4000 on a 96 seems a bit too high even though it's got low miles. Also if you are going to purchase it test it out as old low mileage vehicles can sometimes be just as bad as high mileage vehicles. (lots of stop and go driving without the car ever reaching optimum temp).

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Yeah, even for that mileage, Id say ~3000 and even thats a bit high. It is quite a find though!! That engine will last at least a good 150,000 miles more.

The steering system is the main weak point. Steering rack, rack bushings, inner tie rod bushings, outer tie rods, ball joints are what you should take a look at. With that kind of mileage though, Im thinking it should be pretty good.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like a nice ride, great find... I agree pricey, but we'd like to see pictures...

At that mileage, you won't see problems with the 3.3 for a long time. Watch oil changes and levels, and watch coolant levels. The Intrepid seems to be more picky about bleeding the cooling system than other cars, so if you open up the cooling system other than the cap, you'll need to bleed it.

The AC transducer CAN give you trouble, but it is an easy fix. The fuel pumps seem to be going out around this age.

There are always things that can go wrong with cars, but really, you've got pretty good chances with the car you have picked out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.