DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done the HID light upgrade on their TREPS? I know Philips offers the kit upgrade for $500. I just wanted to know if anyone on here had done it yet? If not, I might be the first. I really love the way those super bright lights look on high-end cars. So why not do that to the TREPS!? They're high-end in my opinion. :D :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wouldnt just do just the bulbs, you'll probably start your car on fire! Those bulbs require ALOT more power than they would get from the wiring that is going to our current bulbs. That kit probably includes all new wiring and who knows what else.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
the kit fully converts your headlight to a HID light (gas chamber electrified to give a bright blue light using less power and heat than a standard bulb) the bulbs however are just coated halogens made to look like the good stuff.

Most people just use the replacement bulbs in a higher wattage than stock so they have a brighter light output

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I just put the bulbs in. It's not really what would technically be considered true HID. They are just xenon gas plasma lights that use 80W for the low beam bulbs, and 100W for the high beam bulbs, same as the OEM bulbs. It may not be true HID, but the pure white light, with a tinge of blue, look great, provide better illumination in the rain and fog, and seem to be easier on the eyes at night looking at the road and other objects.

I paid $27 per pair. 9006's for the lows and 9005's for the high beams.

Sorry for not getting back to you, Warlord... consider this my response to you. :)

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: 00ChryslerIntrepid ]

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by 00ChryslerIntrepid:
I just put the bulbs in. It's not really what would technically be considered true HID. They are just xenon gas plasma lights that use 80W for the low beam bulbs, and 100W for the high beam bulbs, same as the OEM bulbs. It may not be true HID, but the pure white light, with a tinge of blue, look great, provide better illumination in the rain and fog, and seem to be easier on the eyes at night looking at the road and other objects.

I paid $27 per pair. 9006's for the lows and 9005's for the high beams.

Sorry for not getting back to you, Warlord... consider this my response to you. :)

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: 00ChryslerIntrepid ]
Thanks for the info. :)

So what brand of bulbs did you get?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm interested in this also, what type of bulbs were put into the car and what is the url for Philips?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Be careful. Some Places limit how many watts you are allowed to output with your headlights, and 55W seems to be the common cutoff point. I put 100W lights in my fog lights and got pulled over. Got a warning not to use the foglights in his 'district' again or something crazy like that.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Well, I haven't been pulled over for the lights yet. If I am and it is illegal in my locale, well, then so be it. I'll deal with that if it happens.

Anyway, I bought the lights from a company (or person) I found on eBay, actually. I didn't save the container, so I'm not sure what brand they are. Sorry... I know that doesn't help too much.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's the link to the Philips guys!
http://www.philips.com/InformationCenter/Global/FHomepage.asp?lNodeId=13&lArticleId=

These true HID's are like the ones you find on BMW, Lexus, and BENZ. Not those cheap blue tinted lights you see on RICE BURNERS all over town.

I installed a pair of the Sylvania Cool Blue low beams and saw a diffrence in lighting. I can not see a thing in the dark now. THey are worthless!!! Wish I had never purchased them.

As for getting in trouble with the police about lights, not in my neck of the woods...come on guys....who's going to pull over a brown Intrepid anyways?!?!?! ;)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Intreper, those Sylvania cool blue lights you put in and the ones I did are not the same... at all. And if you were associating me and my car with the "ricers" because I put them in, I resent that.

The lights I put in do increase visibility at night and in all kinds of weather. Road signs are brighter (easier to see), and the lines on the road show up more.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
00ChryslerIntrepid I wasn't meaning at all that you look like a ricer. Come on now an Intrepid as a RICER?!?! May I die before the day I see that.

As for your headlights, i'm sure they work for you and thats cool. But the ones I got sucked and I was just stating that. That's what a message board is for..INFORMATION :)

I found the HID kit being sold by this on-line company. Here's the link so everyone can check it out.
http://www.autodynamic.com/hid_philips.htm
;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
ive got the same lights as 00 does.
mine are xenon filled made by a company called eaglite and i really like em.
ive got all 3 sets by them (HI, LO, FOG).
mine as well were bought on ebay.
actually ... heres the address of the people i got mine from ...
www.midnightmoose.com

theres another brand called eurolite that are supposed to have the same effect.
those sylvania ones are NOT the same. they dont do a thing. just a bit brighter halogen bulb. not the whitish/bluish ones like ours.
apparently you can use a regular 9005 & 9006 bulb in place of the XS bulbs in our cars without any problems. but dont hold me to that cuz im not 100% sure on it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Yeah, that's the brand, carbonfybr.... :D

They're great :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just to clarify, true HID (High Intensity Discharge), aka Xenon or metal hallide do not contain a filament, like the way halogens do. The light emitting intensity is due to a gas inside being excited, very much like flourescent tubes emit light.

True HID's will require a ballast of some sort, either tar or electronic, and will not fit the standard factory halogen sockets. Those that do fit a standard socket are just blue filtered halogens and will cut your light intensity by about 30% as to one of equal wattage without the blue tint, as some have found out.

True HID bulbs will be around 5500°K or higher, (degrees Kelvin - daylight color temperature) which accounts for the intense white / blue appearance compared to regular halogens at night, whereas regular halogens are in the 3200°K area. For comparison, plain household 60 watt light bulbs are around 26-2800°K. Different applications for HID can be found at your Home Depot or modern gas station. If you look at the light above and it's so bright white that it hurts your eyes, that's metal hallide.

True HID bulbs are therefore pretty pricey, but I'm sure prices will come down as they become more main stream. Those of you old enough (read: old farts like me) will remember the migration from regular sealed beams to halogens, and how holgen were considered soooo pricey back then, and they are now standard issue in every new car.

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: R/T and Mac driver ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts