DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought a nice HDTV the other day and was having trouble getting it to make my computer display look right. The TV is a Philips 30" Widescreen HDTV. Its a standard Tube style model I guess you'd say. It is capable of 1080i, and i've been attempting various resolutions and screen "sizes" to get it to look right, and I can't do it. I don't see how DVD and XBox can look so clear and perfect but then the computer looks really blurry. I've have several answers when I ask around. I've heard it could be my video card, but I think I have the right drivers, and this video card hasn't caused me a single problem. I've also heard the TV could be too big to use as a monitor causing the screen to "stretch". I even tried 4:3 mode to see if it helped and it didn't. I tried the recommended resolution of 1920x1080 from a HDTV website and thats close to the best i could get. It still hurts my eyes because its blurry,though. Any ideas? Its really bugging me. I am considering a seperate monitor for the computer if i can't get this to work right.

Josiah

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Josiah

I have my 65" HDTV projection TV hooked up useing the s-video cable and sound running threw my 7.1 amp via digital cable. It looks pretty good I will check all my settings when I get home and what drivers I am using can not remember all my setting off hand. You will lose some quality when you go to a bigger monitor but should not be that bad. Hows the quality when you play a video or movie?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Hmmmmmm, I'm running my 14" laptop on my 32" HD LCD. Sometimes text can be a tad blurry, but for the most part it's pretty damn clear!

1378x768

·
Registered
795 Posts
You really need to use a good connection like DVI (my cheap $100 Radeon 9600 video card has one).

Your TV should have at least one DVI you can use, or you'll have to get a VGA to component converter. HDTV's will ONLY output 1080i over Component or DVI/HDMI connections, so if your using S-video or worse you get a downrezed & crappy picture.

A good program to try is Powerstrip supposed to be the best thing for setting up a computer for use on a HDTV.

Also, be very carefull useing your computer on a CRT (tube) TV. You'll probley burn the desktop into the screen if you use it for extended periods. The static image is very bad for those TV's... DLP's are the best for PC (and video game) use because there is no burn in.

Some info about burn-in

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Mine doesn't have a DVI input......but it DOES have a VGA cable hookup (VGA cable included in the box as well as a 3.5mm sound hookup wire)

·
Registered
684 Posts
I was in the same situation as you. I just bought a 34inch Sony widescreen CRT hi-def tv. I am hooking it up to my pc like this: video card has a DVI out and tv has HDMI in and they are hooked up via a DVI to HDMI cable.

Now your problem. Your tv(and mine) look like **** hooked up to the pc at 1080i. There is blurriness, flickering and nothing is very crisp. Nothing you can do about that, it's due to the nature of an interlaced picture. Now where I differ is that my tv is capable of 720p while yours is not. When I switch my pc to 720p and display it on the tv it looks awesome. No blur, flicker, no problems at all.

In short, you are screwed. Your pc will always look less than stellar on th tv.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm using a Philips brand 6 foot DVI to HDMI cable.

My video card is a MSI nVidia GeForce 6600 GT with DVI and VGA

I've only tried the normal control panel and the nView display settings and neither make it look any better. I'll try that program and if it doesn't look good still i'll have to see what else i can do. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Josiah

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ummmm didn't you read my post above? There is nothing you can do to make it look better. 1080i from the pc to the tv will always look like crap.

Other ideas? If you want to use your pc a lot on a hi-def tv, go buy a tv that has 720p capabilities.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts