DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend recently aquired a 1994 Intreped with about a 100k miles on it and I have noticed two problems with it.

1. At various times when the car is in Park or in Netural it will idle at about 1200-1300rpms. Most of the time it idles well under 1000 rpms. What could cause this?

2. Sometimes the transmission does not want to shift out of first gear. It will hold first until about 5000 rpms then suddenly shift. Then when slowing down, when you are comming to a stop and the car shifts back into first get it does so with almost a "bang" and you can feel the car buck slightly.

I don't know much about Dodge products since I haven't worked on one since I overhauled my 86 LeBarron and I'm sure this car is much different. I do know how to work on cars I'm just not sure how the electronics work on her car.

I would like to comment on the nice web site and it seems to be well laid out. If anyone likes to run at the track I'm always up for meeting new people in the Northern VA area and my club tries to hit the track at least once a month in the warmer months. Us guys with big family cars gotta stick together. ;)
Thanks,
Jason Miller
1994 T-bird SC

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Welcome, Jason. I'm gonna throw a guess out there and say throttle position sensor. It's a factor in idle speed as well as shift points. It might be a leaky intake gasket too though, which is common. When you get time, do a search here in the forums on either of those items.

We have tons of other knowledgeable first gen owners, so heed their advice as well. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't know the car had an option for different motors. I do know that this one has the 3.5L DOHC.

Is there a way to test the TPS with a voltmeter? Look for possible dead spots?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
also you might want to check motor mounts if your getting a bucking

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bucking is more like a single jolt when it downshifts into first gear.

I checked for codes tonight and all I got was 55 (all clear). However, the car was running fine tonight so I didn't expect it to throw any codes. Do I need to wait until the car acts up and then check for codes?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Depending on the code, the car will retain the code for at least 40 warmup cycles (typically several weeks) even after the light has went out. If the high idle gets prgressively worse, I'd suspect a vacuum leak in the form of a leak at the intake gasket.

For the rough downshift, make sure your tranny fluid is in good shape and is preferably of the ATF+3 or ATF+4 variety.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Having the transmission flushed is what I am going to have my girl do next. What would the best fluid be to use for everyday driving. The car dosen't have the owners manual in it so if anyone can point me to a place where I can find out what kind of oils, fluids and coolat and how much of each I would realy appraciate it.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone please, keep it comming.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I'll be willing to bet that a trans flush/filter with ATF+3 or +4 will clear up your bump shifting. I had the same problem in my car, and once I got the trans serviced the problem went away. Shifts smooth as butter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does it matter if I use the ATF+3 or +4? Is one better than the other? Would one work better than the other in a car with 100k on it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts