DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Most people that complain don't realize that this engine is very strict with maint. so the oil bakes in the heads if not changed often. Also they have the oil sensor on the passenger side that tends to leak through the connector and the run low on oil. I have my 99 at 86k right now which is at the part where the water pump weep hole needs to be watched.They actually clog sometimes and the coolant goes in the oil which screwes with everything.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 99 2.7 with over 250,000 kms on it. I'm getting some clatter from the right hand cam area right now but otherwise it's had nothing but plugs, air filters, and every 6,000 to 8,000 kms an engine flush and Mobil-1 since 120,000 kms.

Hmm... It's overdue for an oil change now, actually... Must remember to get it done next week. The SXT is making me neglect the 2.7. :D

-m

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a 99 2.7 with 108,000 miles. Oil changes every 5k miles with Amsoil and Purolator Pureone filter. Replaced plugs and PCV at 50k and 100k miles and the oil sensor around 75k miles. Replaced the coolant bleed screw assembly twice (1st time under warrenty). Cooling system flush and fill with Mopar antifreeze at 60k miles.

It burns about a quart of oil every 1500 miles (valve seals) but is running great. Hope to get another 100k out of it.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Mine's a 2001 with a little over 86K miles on it. I do my own oil changes at an average of 3500 miles with dino oil and only once went with synthetic. The one change in either 2001 or 2000 was the addition of a heat exchanger in-line with the pcv line. If you do not have one, you can easily retro-fit one. I exchanged posts with a member named Peva who did the retrofit on his '99 or '98 Concorde and felt that the heat exchanger's purpose was to keep the vapors nice and hot and in vapor form, so that any water vapor didn't get a chance to cool and condense out and into the oil. Makes sense and if the sludge issue truly did taper off on the years that did come OE with the exchanger then I would think its worth your while to add it on. Do a search on this and my name, I posted on this a few times, including pics showing it and where its all plumbed into.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I have a 2000 Trep with a 2.7 with 110,000 with no problems at all. I change my own oil every 3000 miles, before I drain the oil I pour some marval mystery oil into the engine to loosen up any crap in the engine, then I drive about 200 miles with that in the engine. I highly recomend that for everyone. I Also put techron in the gas every 3000 miles. I do not use any of that high priced oil filters or oil. all I use is the Napa oil and Napa gold oil filter In my opnion I think my car can go another 90,000 miles easilly.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
fearless 2000 said:
I have a 2000 Trep with a 2.7 with 110,000 with no problems at all. I change my own oil every 3000 miles, before I drain the oil I pour some marval mystery oil into the engine to loosen up any crap in the engine, then I drive about 200 miles with that in the engine. I highly recomend that for everyone. I Also put techron in the gas every 3000 miles. I do not use any of that high priced oil filters or oil. all I use is the Napa oil and Napa gold oil filter In my opnion I think my car can go another 90,000 miles easilly.
I use Marvel Mystery also. Usually about 500 miles before I'm due for a change I'll add 1/2 a quart and run it until I change it out. I don't do this before every oil change because sometimes I forget, but have done most of the time.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,854 Posts
Before my 2000 SE got stolen...I bought it with 69k on the clock with previous history unknown.. I used whatever lube shop was around at around 3K intervals with regualar oil and cheap filters that they used. The car had 128k miles on it when it was stolen..with no noises or indications from the engine compartment that something was about to blow. As a sidenote I just got a letter from what looks like a pissed off ex-girlfriend of the criminal bastard that stole it giving me information on where the car is now...still running a year and a half later!! News at 7!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I traded mine in at 99000K's with no signs of any oil sludging. (I changed religiously every 5000 K's using 5-30 dino oil)
My main beef was with sensors always blowing out, and front end suspension issues. (tie rods, ball joints, control arms)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Let me revive an old thread. Mine is a 2002 and its currently got 205,450 miles on it and running just fine. I use Mobil one 5w30 full synthetic and change it every 5000 miles. I am currently selling it as I have moved on over to Dodge Charger.

The most major thing that had to be done to it was a new transmission, not rebuild, but new at 104,000 miles. Also added a trans cooler to it, that's what killed it, heat.

I always did the routine maintenance and other things that it needed along the way, like rotors, brakes, fans, belts, gaskets, solenoids, sensors, etc. Its been a great car to be behind the wheel of for the past ten years.

Current pic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.