DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to the track in a couple weeks, i was wondering what would be the highest octane fuel i could run with out tossing a rod or doing some major damage. I wanna run the quickest time i can with how my car is set up right now. I was thinking of throwing half gallon in for just a couple runs. Think it would help running high octane?

Clayton

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not to smart with all this stuff, here would i need higher compression to run higher octane fuel right. I plan on switching to a 55psi fuel pressure regulator dunno if it will help or not but I'm gonna try it and see what happens.

Clayton

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's the same old story that performance buffs have been dealing with forever, how do you get cheap and easy horsepower. The answer has always been pretty much the same, it takes time, money and know how or if your lucky enough, just money, but plenty of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm heading to the track in a couple weeks, i was wondering what would be the highest octane fuel i could run with out tossing a rod or doing some major damage.
Er, octane is an inverse measurement of energy. The higher the octane the _slower_ the fuel burns. It is necessary in high compression/high heat/oversquare conditions to prevent detonation, not to "give power".

Run as high as you want. But it is likely a waste of money.

·
Registered
225 Posts
These guys are right. If your car is stock, you may see an advantage to running premium over regular for racing. That being said, while 93 will work better than 87, going to 100+ octane racing fuel will be a waste for your car.

People think higher octane=power, that is not the case. In reality, the only thing higher octane does is allow you to run a more powerful engine without detonation.

However, you can run as high as you like, it will not cause any damage, just keep in mind race gas can be $10 a gallon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.