DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Bush Stadium in downtown Indianapolis was built in 1931 as a field for Negro and minor-league baseball teams. Today, it’s a historical relic holding hundreds of rusting vehicles traded in under “cash for clunkers,” a spooky memorial to waste.

If you’re a fan of baseball movies, you’ve seen Bush Stadium. It stood in for Comiskey Park in the movie Eight Men Out. In its heyday, it resembled a minature Wrigley Field, with ivy-covered outfield walls and an Art Deco stone entry. It’s been vacant since 1996, left to rot by an indifferent city that rented it to junkyards needing someplace to park vehicles trashed in 2009 during cash for clunkers. More recent photos show the herd has thinned, but hundreds of derelict vehicles remain in a slow-motion race of decay from the elements.

Preservationists have for years sought some way of saving Bush Stadium, which appears on the National Register of Historic Places. But despite several proposals, some as recently as October, it appears the stadium will go the way of the vehicles on its infield, scrapped before being used to its fullest.

More...

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
ohh wow thats amazing! there was probably some good cars down their that should not have been destroyed in their too

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
There is a junkyard by there that I have been to many times.
I haven't seen any cars around there..

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Those cars had a crush date on them as they were taken in. Once the car was towed to the yard, the yard was allowed to sell everything but the dead engine for 6 months, then the car had to be dismantled and recycled. (crushed, shredded, worked over with a torch and saw, etc).

So why are these cars there? They should have been melted down into new cars by now. (or at least a lousy Mountain Dew can!)

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
probably lost tons of good 3.5 and 2.7 engines due to that. there was a list of some ultra rare cars being destroyed too. A GNX was destroyed too! ill say that again. a BUICK GNX!!!!! there was like 540 of them made, they sell for like 20 times that. someone (including myself) would have given him 4500 dollars for it to keep the car alive. asshole

·
Registered
31 Posts
probably lost tons of good 3.5 and 2.7 engines due to that. there was a list of some ultra rare cars being destroyed too. A GNX was destroyed too! ill say that again. a BUICK GNX!!!!! there was like 540 of them made, they sell for like 20 times that. someone (including myself) would have given him 4500 dollars for it to keep the car alive. asshole
not a single lh! they werent even close to meeting clunker requirements

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Hmmm...I wonder if some of these haven't been smashed yet....my friend needs an interior from a 90-95 Explorer :p
well considering those were the most popular vehicles to be traded in, youd probably find a good selection. only problem is your not supposed to take anything out of the vehicles i do believe

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
well considering those were the most popular vehicles to be traded in, youd probably find a good selection. only problem is your not supposed to take anything out of the vehicles i do believe
You can harvest anything but the destroyed engine....and I don't care about that as he has an engine from a 2001 in his 91! (runs GREAT....multipoint injection, EEC-V, the works!)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Something sounds fishy about that Jalopnik list....most of those in even fair condition would have been worth more than $4500 on a trade, and thus the dealer would have a financial incentive not to destroy the car and get the rebate. Either they had some serious damage or wear when traded in or the dealers made some colossal errors (not likely....an experienced dealer KNOWS what he can get for his cars).

I'm sure that's what was up with some of those exotics....they are frighteningly expensive to repair when broken. It may have run....but how well is the question.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The PDF list DEFINITELY has some unapproved cars...the 300M was never eligible for the program and certainly the Neon wasn't. There's also some others in there that are clearly ineligible...a Scion xD, a Saturn Ion, a *2006 Corolla*, and a Civic CRX!

There's a 2004 Passat 4 Motion....those are worth over $10K in good shape. They drink fuel but they aren't cheap...the trade in value is at least 6K on them and they sell well.

The list is definitely flawed and inflated with cars clearly ineligible for a trade.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts