DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used them, specifically their hard drives?

I got an extremely good deal on a 250 gig sata Hitachi so I am giving them a try, usually I stick to brand name hard drives like maxtor, etc.

Tho I can say in all my years of computing I have only had a hard drive die twice, and one of those times it was a model that used a cheap IBM laptop drive that was known to have a drive life of 2 years.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its in and working, on my ATA66 bus oddly enough- surprised it can handle 48bit addressing, but aparently it does.

Next I think I need to get a ATA controller with two or three ATA133 buses... this comp has ATA33, ATA66 and ATA100 on the board.... all but the last of which were out dated when the comp was new in ~2002/2003.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I like WD!

[QUOTE='98-ESer]About 2 years ago Hitachi bought IBMs disk drive business.[/QUOTE]

And we all know how good the last IBM Deskstars were..... The failure rate was nothing short of INFAMOUSLY LEGENDARY! I made a LOT of money replacing them with Western Digital and Segate. I personally only sold one of the affected drives and it was replaced with a WD due to failure. The sad thing is, before the Deskstar 60 and 75GXP incident, the drives IBM made were some of the best. I used them all the time before they started making crap.

As for Hitachi, well I think the issues have been sorted out but I have no reason to choose them over Western Digital right now, WD is keeping me and my customers happy right now. The nicest 7200RPM SATA disks on the planet right now with great reliability and cost, what more can I ask for?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Why buy a high-end PCI disk controller for $50 when for $75 or so you can get a whole new motherboard with modern BIOS, all the disk channels you'll ever need, etc, etc.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
[QUOTE='98-ESer]Why buy a high-end PCI disk controller for $50 when for $75 or so you can get a whole new motherboard with modern BIOS, all the disk channels you'll ever need, etc, etc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what he said!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
::shrug::

Every drive maker, IBM/Hitachi, HP, Seagate/Maxtor, WD, Sony, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Samsung, etc, have ALL put out lines of lemon-drives in the past 5 years.

IBM got so much press on the early runs of their 2nd gen Deskstars because people expected so much from their products. IBM to their credit jumped on the problem and put in an agressive warrenty replacement program. Hitachi carries this program forward today.

Sony on the other hand, suffers no such expectations and thus gets no bad rep for what is truly a piss-poor line of disk drives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts