DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been browsing for a ipod lately and i think im confused. why would a 30gig video ipod be 249.99 and then the 8 gig nano is the same price who in there right mind would pay that much for 22 gigs less. also have you had any problems with them before i sell out money for one. sadly is i wouldnt be able to get all my music on the 30gig

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I believe the reason why the nano is so expensive is because of it's size. Honestly, I don't know why anyone would buy a 30g ipod. I mean do you REALLY need that much music? If you don't think you need that much space, then just buy a used one off eBay or any pawn shop. Used ones can sell for as low as $50.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hmmm... I have a 60GB ipod photo that I might want to sell.... let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IceDragon38 said:
I believe the reason why the nano is so expensive is because of it's size. Honestly, I don't know why anyone would buy a 30g ipod. I mean do you REALLY need that much music? If you don't think you need that much space, then just buy a used one off eBay or any pawn shop. Used ones can sell for as low as $50.
Ltrain yo u have a pm

Well anything smaller isnt going to hold alot of music alone on a external hard drive i have close to 24,000 songs give or take. thats musci from cd's and what not put on the put in order to preserve it. but on long trips like the 9 hr ride to TFC house its nice not to hear the same song twice. and i hate the clutter of cd's in my car

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Code2medic said:
Ltrain yo u have a pm

Well anything smaller isnt going to hold alot of music alone on a external hard drive i have close to 24,000 songs give or take. thats musci from cd's and what not put on the put in order to preserve it. but on long trips like the 9 hr ride to TFC house its nice not to hear the same song twice. and i hate the clutter of cd's in my car
That's understandable. 1 gig is about 250 songs give or take....I doubt you'll listen to the same song on the same road trip with that many songs. And if you do....maybe it's time to pull over to the side and take a nap :D.

I have a boatload of CDs but out of all of them there are maybe like 10 in which i like EVERY song on them. The rest, I only like 1-5 songs on them...not the whole CD. I just like to pluck and pick my favs from them and put it on there. That way it guarantees that my favorite song will be on, and I won't have to worry about skipping the ones I don't like. Of those 24,000 songs do you like each and every single one of them?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The difference between the two is how the music is stored on the iPods.

The 30 GB one is a hard drive based device where there's an actual hard drive inside with moving parts and a spinning drive.

The iPod Nano is a flash memory based device where there's no moving parts inside whatsoever.

Less moving parts equal less chance to damage the device. My daughter threw my wife's Nano into the toilet and my wife had to retrieve it. She let it dry out and it worked just fine. I highly doubt the hard drive based one would be as rugged.

And of course, there's also the issue with size and weight. The Nanos weigh next to nothing whereas the hard drive based ones have a good heft to them.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
My brother asked me the same thing because his older 20gb jsut died . If the capacity was the only difference, I'd see your point. Look at a laptop and a desktop PC with the same specs, the laptop always costs more. It's kind of the same idea with the miniaturization of the components. Sander makes a good point about the flash vs HD too. I have the 30gb video and mybrother opted to get the same. For the money, I think it is a better deal, especially since I have way more than 8gb on mine.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
The difference between the two is how the music is stored on the iPods.

The 30 GB one is a hard drive based device where there's an actual hard drive inside with moving parts and a spinning drive.

The iPod Nano is a flash memory based device where there's no moving parts inside whatsoever.
QUOTE]

With this Harddrive/flash drive issue in mind, with the hard drive Ipod one needs to either connect to the car stereo via a FM transmitter, a cassette tape adapter (both less than ideal sound) or through the headphone jacks into RCA inputs in the rear of the HU, or to use an Ipod interface to control the Ipod. With the nano or a flash drive type, one only has to use the ipod cable which will both charge the Ipod and play the music from the Ipod. Or you could just connect right into a front mounted USB. (if so equipped)

In order to control the Ipod from the Radio controls you will probably need a Ipod interface.

The problem is radios do not have the required firmware to access the Ipod H/D.
Hope this helps
I have the Ipod 30 gig Video and I love it as I can carry my entire music collection. (which is fairly extensive) as well as a Video or two.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i got a 30gb video and i have the hook up for my aftermarket kenwood deck. Sound is amazing and no skipping. I ran the wire from the back of my deck down under the centre console into the middle glove box so know one knows i have it in there.

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
I had a 4th generation 20gb.. hated it.. I just bought a 4gb Nano.. love it..

who knows..

·
Registered
37 Posts
24,000 songs is a HELL of alot of music. To put this into perspective, I have 2000 items on my 60GB Ipod Video and it takes up 10 G. Now granted out of the 2000, probably 50 are either video's or actual movies I have burnt down to it.

Problem is, even if you only put half of your songs on there, 30GB wont even come close to holding that many, only 7,500 songs. The 60GB will only give you 15,000.

But hell, if my 2000 songs would take 6 days to play, imagine 24,000, you'd never get thru them.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats the point i can not stand to hear the same song 2 or 3 times if not more in the same couple of days. once or twice a week cool but dam the radio and xm play the hell out of certain songs and i cant stand it. so i figure cram as many as i can on a ipod throw out the cd's in the car and not have to worry about hearing the same song twice for awhile. Im actually considering the 80 gig tho..... not sure yet as found out that thru work we get 40 percent off thru apple

·
Registered
734 Posts
the ipods have been know to damage the screens fairly easy. if you aren't too concerned with avaialble accessories, you have other options that are as good if not better, and not limited to itunes. you have the iriver, the gigabeat (i have one), the zen vision, etc, etc. As far as i can remmember, all three can play audio, video, radio and pictures. gigabeat runs on windows, so no extra software to clog your pc. couldn't tell you on the other two. any way, that's my .02

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
i have the 30gb video. ITs nice, better than the nano for sure. But the battery life is crap with videos and in general. Im not sure about the nano, maybe battery life is better due to its size.

I would get the 30gb tho, its nicer and it plays videos.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I bought the gizmo to hook it up where the CD changer would normally go. This give you the ability to control it from the radio as well as the fact that it is constantly charged from the car. I had a lot of people tell me that it was crazy to leave the iPod in the car because of the extremes in temps... Lets see, it's been 3 years now... the car has been to Arizona and gone through Michigan winters and the damn thing still works...

I hear what you're saying, I haven't turned on the "radio" in forever, got sick of hearing the same thing over and over on "Hits" radio. If I liked it, it was for sure that I didn't by the end of the week!

Anyway, the point is, you'd most likely be fine with the 80g. Like everything else, you're taking your chances on how long it's going to last. Like I said, I haven't had a problem, but there's no promise you won't, just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Eightball00 said:
24,000 songs is a HELL of alot of music. To put this into perspective, I have 2000 items on my 60GB Ipod Video and it takes up 10 G. Now granted out of the 2000, probably 50 are either video's or actual movies I have burnt down to it.

Problem is, even if you only put half of your songs on there, 30GB wont even come close to holding that many, only 7,500 songs. The 60GB will only give you 15,000.

But hell, if my 2000 songs would take 6 days to play, imagine 24,000, you'd never get thru them.
The amount of songs depend greatly on the sample rate at which the song was converted from the original source. I only convert at a miimum of 246 so the sound is better. You can fit more on with the lower sample rates, but the quality is less as well.
I have 24G on mine and it says in ITunes it will play for 13.6 days without repeating. That is what it says, I have not verified it. :usa:

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I'd rather have a Microsoft Zune...........plays WMA files as well, iPods are WAY too proprietory.......and Apple's gonna burn because of it!

·
Registered
384 Posts
IceDragon38 said:
i have a 30 gig, and i would never have bought a nano. i think they are too small, and you cant watch the disney's "cars" on a nano. right now i have about 1500 songs and like 10 full length moviesthat take up about 12 gig of space. you could never get that on a nano. and i have been putting my ipod in my back pocket and sittling on it for a year now and have never hurt the screen.

·
Registered
384 Posts
IceDragon38 said:
That's understandable. 1 gig is about 250 songs give or take....I doubt you'll listen to the same song on the same road trip with that many songs. And if you do....maybe it's time to pull over to the side and take a nap :D.

I have a boatload of CDs but out of all of them there are maybe like 10 in which i like EVERY song on them. The rest, I only like 1-5 songs on them...not the whole CD. I just like to pluck and pick my favs from them and put it on there. That way it guarantees that my favorite song will be on, and I won't have to worry about skipping the ones I don't like. Of those 24,000 songs do you like each and every single one of them?

no, but its nice to have a variety of music so when on a road trip, your friends can listen to some stuff that they like, not just your favorite stuff. and the movies are great for kids, it keeps them occupied for a LONG ass time.

and another nice feature of the 30 gig, (ipods in general) is that you can play any song, by any artist at any time withous finding a cd or stopping to put the cd in the cd changer in the trunk. its just back, scroll, and select.
and you can take it anywhere, not like a car cd player that is stuck in the car, or a portable cd player that is the size of a dinnerplate.

and with the 30 gig, i dont have to worry about ever filling it up, it will have enough room for just about anything you want to do with it. i would have to have 2 nanos with the stuff i have right now, and that would be pushing it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts