DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the hiway today and then my car started to shake bad! I pulled onto the off ramp and weas about to turn into a gas station to scope things out. And suddenly POW my car was now sitting a foot lower on the drivers side front. I WAS scared shitless. I didn't know what happened. I get out an here sits my tire tucked up in the wheelwell. I can see the schard remains of what used to be my wheel studs. Ok that was a relief it was only the studs. No CV shaft or A arm damage. I call a Tow truck to come pick up my car and take it to get serviced. Well, the bill came to 128.00 that includes the towing. Not too bad but it scared the **** out of me when it happened.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
wow... So what exactly happened? Did your rim come loose or did you just loose a tire?

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
You might have had loose lugs...when they are loose, the wheel can vibrate to the point that it shears the studs right off.

Always check to see your lugs are tight!

Glad to see you and your trep are OK.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they were tight thats the funny part

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
That sucks man.:( That would have scared the **** out of me too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Can you post a good quality picture of the sheared off surface of all the studs?

If not, you might be able to tell yourself.

Look at the shear surface. If any of the studs have a rough looking shear, and the rest of the shear is nice and clean, that is typical of a fatigue failure.

Might be that some of them were fatigued, and sheared off, and the remaining studs couldnt hold up, so they sheared right off also.

Whatever happened, I would want to check out the other 3 wheels, just to be sure it isnt going to happen again. You wouldnt want your wheel falling off at 80mph on the Interstate.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
also mabe they were not tightened down enough, if you have just recently had service within the past week that would have had the wheels off I would go talk to them about it.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
If you have aluminum rims, after everytime they are taken off and put back on they need to be retightend after 25 miles.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes they we retorqed after my last service. I think they were just fatigued.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
pimped3point3 said:
If you have aluminum rims, after everytime they are taken off and put back on they need to be retightend after 25 miles.
That is a good tid bit of info.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Sorry to hear that Sk8-4ever...

never personally had this happen to me, but my brother was taking my dads 96 Ram down the highway and the rim flew off and hit an oncoming 2000 Bonneville... They looked at it and all 5 studs had the threads stripped off of it. Luckily, some how or another, when the rim flew off the tire still stayed in the fenderwell and the brake assembly and everything landed on the inside of the tire instead of hitting the pavement and really messing it up. Not sure how much damage was to the Pontiac, but i think it was about $600 to fix the truck... here's a pic of what the rims looks like (minus a few chunks here and there)

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
RE: wheel falling off

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I have aluminum wheels also. Anyway I was on a trip to Kentucky and I got off at an offramp and went through a light and noticed my front end shaking, and making a noise. I then stopped and got out and looked and saw nothing. I then got back in the car and proceeded on and it started again, so i stopped again and the left front wheels lugs were totally loose 4 of um. I tightend them back down. Thank God no more problems. Scared the **** of me also. The tire place told me that when you have steel rotors matched with aluminum alloy wheels the temperature difference will cause the wheels to expand and retract more and make the wheel loosen lugs after having new wheels put on. Just thought you could use the info!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts