DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the general opinion of the Mopar hood bra? I keep getting stone chips on the front of the hood. I see some members use this bra from their pics. I'm just afraid that the bra will scratch the paint underneath or damage the paint from trap water, etc.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
No problem here, and I even left it one when it got wet.

I do however take it off every few months and leave it off for a month or so. Whatever I feel (sometimes I like it on, sometimes I like it off).

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i'm the same way so far...on and off....just keep it clean and waxed, here, sand gets in it real quick. so thats why so much on and off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What's the preference of the group, full bra or just the hood bra? I've been considering purchasing one myself, and am undecided. From most pix's I've seen looks like the hood bra is more popular.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I have nothing against the full bra. It looks pretty good, too. I think it all comes down to personal preferance.

Of course, I chose just to do the hood part :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've got the full bra but just took the bottom part off after I waxed it the other day cause I like the way just the hood part looks.
The bottom part might leave some rub marks. Mine has been on for a long time and there are rub line on the front fenders. So if you do get the full one make sure you wax that area really well before you put it on (if you do wax your car).

Brian
'99 Inferno Red 2.7L

·
Registered
436 Posts
FYI,
I think car bras look pretty good, full or hood. But I won't put another one on. I had a bra on my 98 red Neon which looked pretty good. I noticed after a few months the hood started developing a milky substance under the clear coat. The car was under warranty and the dealer used a heat gun to get rid of it, (I think it was moisture). I noticed under the hood portion they collect A LOT of dirt. On the other hand my dad has a bra on his 94 Intrepid and never has had a problem. I think color plays a part into whether or not you'll notice any scratching or fading. Make sure you install it correctly and keep it clean as well. For the record, I think they look good on the treps.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I have the MOPAR hood bra...I love it...I take it off every so often to clean the car. But otherwise it stays on all the time. No scratcehs....but yes, it does collect alot of dust/dirt. Keep it clean!

·
Registered
23 Posts
i really dont see any point in puttin a bra on a car u get a beautiful machine like that and then u totaly ruin the look of it with a bra on it and it is very hard on teh paint it you dont wax it alot and they are jsut ugly as h*ll i cant believe any one would even consider puttin on on their car!! jeeze

·
Registered
301 Posts
wow! That was your first post, Josh? Uh... welcome to the board.:confused:

I want to put one on (2000 ES, gold) to protect my hood from getting any more rock chips. I hate rock chips. The only way to get rid of them, once you have them, is to repaint the whole hood. I don't want to do that.

So, next month I plan to get a full bra. Is the $126 price from Mopar a fair deal? I figure a factory bra would fit better, is that true? I've been looking for them on eBay, but to be honest, the new ones there aren't much cheaper .

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The bra is a great idea ... one word of advice is that to never put any treatment on the bra such as armourall ... it will seep through onto the paint. I say this because after just recently painting my car I had to paint the hood twice .... the hood had to be sanded twice ... straight to the metal ... just to get the armourall extract out of the hood.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go with it!!!! I have one on my white Trep and it looks great. I just take it off when I wash the car which is every week and to clean the cover I just use the wet sponge with the soap residue I washed the car with and it looks great. It will leave dirt under it but as long as you don't just wipe it off it won't scratch the car. so many people don't realize when the touch dusty cars or write crap in the dust it scratches them. (some people really need to teach there kids this) Go with the Mopar one $45 from the dealer fits perfect.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a full bra because I have a clip missing from my passanger side front quarter panel that should be holding up my corner of the front bumper guard. I've been thinking that if I get the full bra it would hold up the bumper (I'm sure your thinking cheap bastard to yourselves right now) and saving the money on getting a new QP.

Just recently though, I found a new QP on ebay and I've been talking with the guy that was selling it and I might be able to get the QP, a new bumper and trunk lid (mines a little rusty) for a little bit of chump change.

So I don't know yet if I will or not. I think the car looks good with out the bra and why chance messing with the paint (mine needs a new paint jab anyways).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got a full one on my R/T, even has holes cut out for the fog lights. Looks nice. I really wish I had it since I first got the car as I have tons of scratches and chips. I need to get the front repainted, I think, or touched up so that I don't get rust goin'.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with Josh. I hate car bras. (hey it's not like the front end will sag without one)

I know the argument is it will protect the front end from stone chips etc. but to me it just isn't worth it. I think they're just plain ugly. If the front end gets too bad I'll have it re-painted. To me it's like the guy that puts seat covers on brand new upholstery in order to save it. Yeah, for who..the next owner.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It depends. I've got a couch that's torn to hell due to my cat. It needs to be reupholstered. Now if I cared about, say, a NEW couch, I'd train the cat out of it or put some protective measures on the areas that the cat tends to rip up.

You know, because nothing says "high class" to your house guests like a nice place with one ratty POS couch.

Same thing with a car. I paid too much for my car. It looks nice. I'll run it into the ground. However, where I live I tend to get a ton of paint chips and stuff like that. That means that *I* will have to pay to get my car fixed up. I need to do this so the dang thing won't start rusting (unless the hood is aluminum and will only oxidize a bit?) which will cost even MORE money to fix or replace.

By using a bra on the front, I can reduce the number of times during the car's usable life that I need to repaint or replace the front hood due to road wear and damage. I live in the midst of a city undergoing a few years of construction as they widen the main road from 6 lanes to something like 12 and replace all the bridges over that road. It is literally a multi-year plan. I drive through that construction zone daily to get to work.

I also don't know the road conditions elsewhere and I tend to take 900+ mile trips (from Denver to Dallas, or from Denver to D.C for instance) where who knows what the 'ell I'll encounter.

And then there are the trips into the mountains. The wonderful poorly-maintained mountain roads.

Aesthetics aside, it's a practical matter for me. There will be no next owner. As such, protecting the vehicle from damage is of concern to me since I'll be the one paying to get it fixed. I view it as preventative maintenance in much the same way that changing your oil keeps your engine from needing to be replaced.

I'm not made of money. This is the only car I drive. I can't afford to take time off of work to just repaint the car's hood whenever it gets a nick. And touch-up paint is, approximately, extremely ugly (used it all the time on my old Volvo 240).

I take some amount of pride in my vehicle. I got an R/T because to me it said "performance" and "top of the line" for that class. I don't want to drive an R/T with a bunch of chips and rust spots on the front.

When I get a new couch, it will be protected from damage. If the couch were in good shape before I got it, it would have been protected from the start. If I had the money at the time, the Intrepid would have been protected from the start. But I didn't and now I'll need to get the chips taken care of. But the bra helps prevent more and will help prevent more once I get the hood fixed up.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I use my hood bra occasionally. Ill use it for a week or two... then ill take it off for a few weeks. I don't do it for rock chips... as much as I want to give the car a "different look".

·
Registered
115 Posts
Black Monk said:
Well, to be honest, I really use the bra because I heard it gives 5 extra horsepower! :D
Wow, that's cool.. sign me up!:crazy:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts