DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, on our cars, functionaly wise, what would be more effective on our cars, hood scoops or a cowl hood? and reasons for each. got a couple idea going around need answers to which is best for our car, thanx. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
581 Posts
For forced induction I'd say a scoop. But a scoop with an opening as close to the front of the car as possible. Just from driving around after a rainy day, I've noticed that the front of the car is dry, but the raindrops at the back of the hood haven't been blown away by the air pressure.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
As far as LOOKS go, I think a small cowl would look better than scoops.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ok... General reasons for the cowl hood:
Generally on most cars there is a high pressure region between the hood and the windsheild. This high pressure creates a favorable condition for any intake entrance placed there because the engine doesn't have to pull as much on the air to get it to flow into the intake. Another favorable condition presented with a cowl hood is that there will be minimal ducting for those of us with the 3.5L. This is because our throttle bodies already point directly out the back of the motor. Just make a box that the throttle bodies duct into and somehow connect it to the opening in the cowl with a filter in there somewhere.

Hood scoops 'can' have a forced air effect, however, this is only on cars that have the scoops either up in the main air stream, or cars that have the scoops near the front of the vehicle where the air pressure is the highest. With our cars, the air tends to be at a really low pressure along the hood because the front end is kind of blunt and effectively pushing a wall of air infront of the car making an area of low pressure along the hood, that eventually turns to high pressure when the angle of the windsheild comes into play.

As far as performance would go on a 'Trep. I would have to say that the cowl would work better, unless you could get your scoops or some ducting to run down to the flat front part of the car. Somewhere in the front bumper, which is almost impossible. I have seen a 2nd gen with one fog light removed and a cold air intake setup run through the opening in the bumper, but I don't think that is possible with a 1st gen.

Good luck and I hope I have been informative,

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
swartlkk said:
but I don't think that is possible with a 1st gen.

That's right. The first gen has some metal in the way to prevent you from doing this.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx Swart for that great explanation. i got a few ideas gonig through my head now ;-) gonna look at the fiesability later today :p :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Depends, what are you trying to do? Bring air in, or take air out? The intrepid has a tight engine bay, with little room for air to exit around the engine. Air comes in the grille, through the radiator, then into the engine bay and stacks up there, escaping around the bottom of the engine. Not exactly optimal. If you build a hood designed to pull more air into the engine bay, and you don't either give the extra air someplace to go or confine it to your intake, there will be little to no gain. If your intention is to increase cooling to the engine, install a set of rear facing louvers or hood vents to allow the hot engine air to escape. This can dramatically reduce underhood temperatures. This creates an airflow where the air comes in the grille, through the hot radiator, and the now hot air is immediately dumped out allowing more air in to replace it. I did it on my Jeep and noticed huge reductions in underhood temps.

whodat

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am doing it for cold air induction

1 - 9 of 9 Posts