DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping my friend hook up his capacitor, and i have a vague idea of how to do it. its a lightning audio POS and it has two screws on top, one for + and one for - . I think what u do is connect the power to the + and ground to the negative? then connect the negative to the battery? I'm really not sure, anyone know what im talking about? thanks

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I have never installed a cap. But I though you just installed it inline with the power wire.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've never done it, but elementary electrical theory says that you want to hook this up in parallel with the + and - terminals of the amp. Remember:

Parallel circuit --> Vt = V1 = V2
Series Circuit --> Vt = V1 + V2

Some amps actually have separate cap terminals. Obviously this is not your case otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question.

·
Registered
196 Posts
its real simple + from the battery before the amp or distrubution block. - goes right to chasis ground NOT TO THE BATTERY OR TO THE GROUND ON THE AMP. and when you charge the cap be SURE AND USE THE SUPPLIED RESISTOR TO CHARGE IT A SUDDEN CHARGE COULD CAUSE THE CAP TO EXPLODE. make sure you use the same size power wire and ground. also just to let you know lightening audio is made by rockford fosgate they bought out alot of companies in the last few years. another bit of advice is to be sure to run you power wires and rca cables at least 18 inches apart or you will get all kinds of noise.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm still learning guys. What exactly does a caapacitor do? I've seen them before but what purpose do they serve? Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
a capacitor is really a smaller version of a battery the one major difference is that it carges and releases voltage very very fast quicker than a battery can. it also takes the strain off of the alternator and battery. it allows your amp to work as effiecent as it is supposed to because it can get the power it needs when it needs it. also the fact that the cap is installed so much closer to your amp that there is not so much of a severe power loss due to power wires. also remember a larger power wire will help with this also it is like a larger garden hose it flows much easier and more free then smaller ones. also be sure to get a good multi strand wire and good connectors seeing as how most power wires generally use the outside circumfrence to supply the power the larger the diameter and the more strands the easier the power can flow.hope i answered your question if not let me know and i'll try and explain more.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for the info... I understand it now:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
When are capacitors generally used? How do you know if you need one? Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts