DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 Dodge Intrepid 3.5 120000

I recently had my engine rebuilt, as I blew the head gasket (thanks to neighbors kids :banghead: ) and I have been driving it for the past 7 months with a little leak that eventually grew to be much larger. I noticed it was leaking from the front end of the block like right between the two most forward pan bolts. So I bought a new pan gasket well the old one looked as good as the new one.

I removed the front of the engine (all covers, dampener, crank pulley, and timing belt) and noticed one side of the engine was coated in a light film of oil so I assumed that the cam seal was to blame so I replaced it, and just for shits and grins replaced the crank seal as well put all the above noted back on and filled the car with oil and a new filter. Started the car and it all seemed to run well but after a bout 10 miles it started to leak again so I stopped at Napa and bout 3 quarts of oil as the fluid was not marking on the stick, poured it in left my car running and returned to the store for antifreeze as I returned the oil was POURING out of the front of the engine AGAIN :banghead: :dunno: I am lost WTF????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fron the front

well i think it is from the right bank cam seal but i replaced it as well as the Crank seal so i donno

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you dont use loktite on the seals sometimes engine crank pressure may pop out a cam or crank seal. It happened to my 86 Celica GTS when I replaced the cam seals, one popped out w/in 1000 miles for some reason. I used loktite on them after giving the mating surfaces a good cleaning with alcohol. Sometimes a clogged PCV system will cause the pressure to build up and pop a seal. I also replaced the oil pump gasket which you should have also done during the repair since you have to drop the oil pan to remove it off the front of the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i think that was the problem i took it to dodge and they put new seals on it again we will see tommorow

1 - 6 of 6 Posts