DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my control arm bushings are bad on my front end. I’ve narrowed it down to either the control arms or the tension strut. I was hoping if someone could clarify for me which one uses the bushings so I can have them replaced. (Both sides are really bad)
Wheel Automotive tire Blue Tire Gas

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your photo shows the bushing that comes built into the control arm - you don't purchase that bushing separately. The rearward end of the tension strut plugs into that bushing. The tension strut bushings that you purchase separately mount on the forward end of the tension strut where it connects to a bracket welded to the engine cradle. NOTE: The tension strut is also called the strut rod.

Your photo shows the bushing built into the muddle of the control arm:
View attachment 42695
(There's also a pivot bushing on the inboard end of the control arm that connects the control arm to the engine cradle. That bushing also comes built into the control arm.)

Items 38 and 39 are the tension strut bushings that you purchase separately. They are often purchased in a kit that includes the washers - item 40:
View attachment 42696

)
Ok thanks a lot! I just wanted to make sure I was buying the right parts so my car can get back on the road. Are the control arms the same on both sides or is it different?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are going to need to purchase 2 new tension struts (#23) also. The ones you remove will be rusted, thinning them down where they go into the bushings both sides.
Most likely you will need to break the self locking nuts free by hand with a large breaker bar. Plenty of PB Blaster and there is a "flat" on the strut that you can hold with a large adjustable wrench.
Impact gun usually wont do it as the "impact" is adsorbed and displaced by the rubber bushing.
Be sure to torque the control arm to frame bolt with the weight of the care on it at "ride height"
Ok. I’ll get them ordered then. Thanks for letting me know! Id hate to have to fix more stuff after i get everything else done

1 - 3 of 3 Posts