DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what I could possibly do to fix my bad gas mileage that I am currently getting. I was getting normal gas mileage but now I am getting between 10 and 12 mpg! I have not cleaned my air filter in about a year maybe, which is a K&N cold air intake. Could that make my gas mileage that bad? I have fairly new spark plugs in it. What am I missing?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I get less gas mileage in the winter due to longer warm up times while having to clean snow off car. Also, check your tire pressure. If your air filter is REALLY dirty then yes it could cause it, more restriction=less air flow.(Not as much as a badO2 sensor/s would)

·
Registered
253 Posts
A failed oxygen sensor would trip the check engine light. The code would identify the fault. Another possibility is a defective thermostat which could cause the coolant temp to be too low. Finally, in winter, the blend of ethanol may be higher which lowers mileage and short trips have the engine running cold more often so mileage also suffers from that.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
what is a non fouler trick?
its used when a cat converter goes bad. its when you put a spacer between the downstream 02 sensor and the exhaust system to trick the pcm into thnking the catalytic converter is working so you dont get a check engine light.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I also am getting poor gas mileage, Im thinking my passenger side cat is going, so im going to replace both cat's and the downstream sensor's, ( already did the upstream)... Besides the poor mileage I feel that I also have some power issue's, Just dosent seem to have the P/U it use to. Will be doing this 2 weeks from now and will update as soon as I can, I hope this help's since it's going to be costly !!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I get 16 or 17 and that is not what I should be getting. I have a small evap leak and what is really weird is my gas milage went down about 1.5 miles when I tuned it up. Man the plugs were all burnt like they were factory....LOL

·
Registered
917 Posts
Im getting like 14/18,, city highway combined. Last road trip I took to Indy about a 3 hr drive all highway doing 70mph I was around 29mpg.. Oh and BTW I am NOT getting any codes or no check engine light....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts