DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2k1 R/t with about 127000 miles on it. I am getting close to 300 miles a tank which is about 15MPG. I know the 3.5L is a bigger engine but I should be getting more MPG then this. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
518 Posts
i have the 3.2 and I usually get about 280-300 miles a tank...i think we're screwed brotha... :dunno:

:scatter:

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
My car has the 3.5L HO, i have an extremly heavy foot, and the EVIC displays 17-18 mpg all the time, and i get about 280 to a tank.

I think you're fine...

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Sounds kinda low to me, but your mileage is very dependant on your driving style and your driving situation.
Lots of intown and traffic plus a........ahem........healthy........need for acceleration leads to low mpg.

My 2.7 gets aound 25 intown average, I would think a 3.5 shouldn't be much worse than 20 mpg. But again, with gas where it is these days, I find myself very conscious of how hard I'm hitting the loud pedal.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Great White said:
Sounds kinda low to me, but your mileage is very dependant on your driving style and your driving situation.
Lots of intown and traffic plus a........ahem........healthy........need for acceleration leads to low mpg.

My 2.7 gets aound 25 intown average, I would think a 3.5 shouldn't be much worse than 20 mpg. But again, with gas where it is these days, I find myself very conscious of how hard I'm hitting the loud pedal.

Cheers

BJ
How does ours get so much, mine, if I'm lucky, gets about 17, and i use Cruise controll all the time, and I never take it above 2500RPM

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I get around 300 miles per tank.......course there's still 2 gallons of fuel when it shows empty.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Badasstrep said:
How does ours get so much, mine, if I'm lucky, gets about 17, and i use Cruise controll all the time, and I never take it above 2500RPM
:dunno:

I keep up with regular maintenance (tire pressure, repairs, etc) and pay attention to how I drive.

Other than that, she's stock.

I get around 29-31 combined when mostly highway.

Down around 25 ish when I'm predominantly city.

Roughly 600 KM's per tank full regardless, give or take 50-ish km's (from full when the pump shuts off to the red light).

Driving in hilly conditions will also kill mileage.

I get roughly the same estimate when I check the evic or calculate my mileage.

Maybe I just got a good one.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
265 Posts
Look into replacing your fuel filter, check if the air filter is dirty and if it is replace it and do a fuel injection cleaning. and not the bottle you buy in the store, have the 2 step process done to it. They do it at jiffy lube and also pep boys for less money for the same service.

·
Registered
90 Posts
guynlidia2006 said:
Look into replacing your fuel filter, check if the air filter is dirty and if it is replace it and do a fuel injection cleaning. and not the bottle you buy in the store, have the 2 step process done to it. They do it at jiffy lube and also pep boys for less money for the same service.
I used to get about 230miles to the tank and then I used the bottle injector cleaner and now I get a bit more than 300. I didn't know about the 2 step thing at the time but it sounds like a better idea than the bottle stuff. It was a 7 year old car when I got it so the guy couldn't've possibly taken great care of it if all it needed was injector cleaner.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
my 3.3 gets about 24 city, 30ish highway. It's hard to get an accurate answer when my fuel guage sending unit bounces more than my tachometer.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
i usually get a 300 km if im lucky LOLL all city driving.

Whats this 2 step injector cleaning bit? i have a little over 50km on mine, time for injector maintenance??

Thanks

·
Registered
518 Posts
linuxglobal said:
i usually get a 300 km if im lucky LOLL all city driving.

Whats this 2 step injector cleaning bit? i have a little over 50km on mine, time for injector maintenance??

Thanks
I am always very leary of those Jiffy Lube services. For all you know, they remove the injectors(if they do that), and clean them with some carburator cleaner. Then, they pour in a bottle of STP gas treatment. There's your two steps! :baaa:

Anyway, i don't know what they do, but I would feel more comfortable having an ASE certified, trusted mechanic messing with my fuel injectors. :bgking:

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
LOL i no longer trust mechanics. They rip u off and make every little thing seem like its the end of the world.

Like when i had my moms timing belt replaced. I had to argue for 30 min with the guy to convince him that my car (12 k at the time ) did not need the timing belt tensioners replaced on My intrepid and i was there to replace my moms timing belt. Plus he cut the accessory belt from my moms car so i could go to another place.... AHHHHH

So i hate them, that and other things like overpriced bulb replacements??? and crappy alignment jobs when my rotors were warped. (at the Chrysler dealership)

So from now on i do all of work on my car myself. If i mess it up, its my fault. If they mess it up, its my fault anyways but this way i save a ton of $$ on labour.

Just my 2 cents... LOL

·
Registered
518 Posts
i did say "trusted"...

but right on, i'm with ya. i have had my share of crappy experiences. this is why i also do my own work with the exception of the big jobs...i can only trust myself to do so much. but the easy stuff...oil, brakes, starters, altenators, simple electrical...

·
Registered
265 Posts
We do not take off your injectiors... we put an additive in the vacume line which go str8 to them and clean them. It is made by gumout.. Good stuff

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
i have to look into that... ill figure it out eventually LOL...

im up to timing belts....

replaced rad, condenser, compressor, cooling fans, motor mounts... well not on my car LOL... my dads after a deer accident.
Mind you im only 19 yrs old and in undergrad dentistry LOL... hehe

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The thing with our cars, when it goes through the vacuum line, it doesnt touch the injectors. It only hits the interior of the plenum, intake valves and piston head... The only way it flows through the injectors is via the fuel tank. Sea Foam is just like the Gum out stuff, if not better as well, and it only cost 5 bucks a bottle, not $50+ at Jiffy Lube!

I also dont trust Jiffy Lube, since the last time I had an oil change there (2001 Corde with the 2.7) they didnt put any oil in it, didnt change the filter, and ripped my seat...

Try Sea foam. Do it and you will see the results!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Compare to my 2.7, there's something awfully wrong with some of the gas mileage numbers here. I think you guys need to check your calculations.

First of all, 300 miles to a tank and 15 mpg ??? That means you filled up with 20 gallons in order to arrive at 15 mpg. The tank only has a capacity of 16.2 gallons (64 liters) ! And that's to bone dry. The capacity from full to the nuts down to the low fuel light is around 12.8 - 13 gallons, with a bit over 3 gallons in reserve.

I think your gas mileage is better than you think.

The numbers on my 2.7 for this week are : 1166 km ( 723 miles) and 91 liters of gas (23.9 US Gal). Average Mileage = 7.7 L/100 km or 30.5 mpg. I know 2 people around here with 3.5s, and their mileage is almost as good as mine - a bit lower, but not much.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts