DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel guilty about uploading pictures to Di.net all the time. I've herd of people hosting pictures and web pages and stuff on their computers. Can I do this if i'm on a shared internet connection lan? If so how?

Or what are some good places to host pictures that don't care about file linking?

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
If you have a cable connection....or have access to a computer that has an "always on" connection... host your own pics!

You'll need web hosting software...the easiest being Microsoft's very own IIS. It's really really simple to set up a simple picture hosting site, mainly because you are basically giving "Directory Browsing" rights to that folder.

What OS are you using?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
It's also easy to end up with a virus or hackers having control of your machine... I wouldn't run web services on my computer just for that.

Usually your ISP will have some kind of free web account that goes along with your service package. Have you looked into that option at all?

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I checked with my cable ISP and found out that I have 10MB of web space for every screen name I setup

I'm allowed seven names total and was only using four so I setup three addl "dummy" accounts just for the web space, I never even created the site, I just FTP pics in and then link to them

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running WinXP Pro.
I have a cable gateway with a hardware Firewall and internet connection sharing to 4 computers. I'm going to look into if Cogeco has web space for me.

·
Registered
887 Posts
How do you host a website from your pc? I'd like to try this out... instead of paying to see if I will get many hits.... running xp pro as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts