DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 3.5l.

I find that the alternator gets really hot after only a minute of running or two. I've never noticed it was hot before, but not it gets quite hot (spit evaporates within 20 seconds after a min or two of running). Should I be expecting a failure soon?

The battery seems to be charging fine... Just replaced the belt because I replaced the A/C belt (and a/c is seized! Ahhhhh).

What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
was the alternator hot before? If it was than maybe its on its way but if it wasnt maybe you have the belt to tight? I dont know just a thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that too, and so I cranked it down a few full turns so that its quite flexible in the up/down motion. And I just don't know if it was hot before. We (my wife and I) noticed the engine compartment was quite hot for a long time after we turned it off, and thought nothing of it. But this could be tied together.

I always thought that Alternator's ran quite cool?

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
They normaily get hot after a while of running but not after a couple of min. I think you got the belt too tight and the berrings were stranning. The belt souuld only have about a 1/2 and inch of play on the longest run. But if it getting hot enough to evaporate spit then I would look for it to goo very soo cause the eletriconics can't handle high heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts