DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3.3L 1995 ES, 185,000 miles, original trans

I have seen a lot of posts regarding input/output sensors on the trans. What do they do and what are some of the symptoms if one goes bad?

My trans acts up when I turn on the A/C in very hot weather and the engine temp raises a few degrees. The trans will not up shift most of the times. If it does it bucks and runs up a few RPM before shifting. If I pull over and turn off the engine it seems to reset back to normal operation.

I have the trans serviced every 40K miles, just recently had a service and flush. Problem existed prior to the service. Speedometer works although the dash loses power on occasion, does not coincide with trans problem.

Any help/TS hints would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I'm not too sure about any troubleshooting, but my 94 3.3 (137,000 mi) sometimes will downshift hard from second to first when the outside temp is hot and I'm running AC. I added a factory trans cooler from a 3.5 and I haven't really noticed it yet, although I'm not saying that'll solve your problem.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Where do you get your tranny serviced at ? Make sure that they are putting in ATF +3 or better+4. So shops will put in some dex with additives, or multi tranny crap. Sounds to me like the fluid is getting to thin when it get hot. If it was me I'd drop the pan, and put a new filter, and new +4 fluid in her to see if that fixs the problem. If it only does it when she get hotter, then I think it the fluid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I had a fluid problem too.

I had it serviced at my trusted mechanic, quizzed him on his knowledge of my transmission and he gave me all the right answers. I'll have to assume he did it correctly.

My last untrusted mechanic changed the filter but failed to replace the fluid. Couldn't figure out why the car would not move.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.