DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While going to work today one of my co-workers was following behind me, and when we got there he told me there was a little smoke coming out of my exhaust.... anyways, I got home and checked the oil... it was WAY low. I put another quart in and its a little past the minimum level. The oil light never came on, so it shouldnt' have gotten low enough to damage anything, right??

I was wondering what's cauzing this, is it just a bad seal that can be replaced cheap? or is it something big? Its got 97k on the odometer, but runs like its still new, and i haven't had any problems with it yet.

any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well, the light doesn't always come on to save the day in time. When I lost all of my tranny fluid because of a puncture in my tranny cooler, the check engine light came on right when my transmission would no longer engage. By that time, it was too late. the damage was done, only I didn't know it yet. That is why right now, just a few thousand miles later, my tranny is getting rebuilt. When you lose oil, you increase heat. Check your temp guage closely. Heat is anything's worst enemy.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'm pretty bad bout checking my oil and having it changed. But even when I forget to check it for a long time, it never seems to get low at all.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you have the 3.5 a common problem is the rear cam seals. I had to have them replaced on my 97. It was under warranty so I have no idea on a price. I also have heard of slight leaks on the spark plug tube seals. Hope these help you find the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts