DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran the Intrepid a little hard last night againt Grand Am(6 cyl.) of my buddies.
After I slowed down started getting a tap in the motor. Sounds like a lifter. It's a little to hi pitched to be a bearing.Or it could be a floated valve. Its hard to pin point where its exactly coming from,but my best guess is under the intake on the drivers side. Anybody ever replaced the lifters before?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Which engine? Chrysler has a TSB out on noisy 3.5L lifters.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad....2001 3.2. just went and started for the first time since last night.What ever it is ,it seems to be hitting the inside of the valve cover....any ideas?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the valve cover off and nothing.since the 3.5 and 3.2 are about identical,a lifter may be the problem.Or at least I hope.all i can do is replaced them and see.If not I'll put in crank kit,new rings,oil pump,water pump and timing belt.About $600 in parts.Cheaper than used or rebuilt motor.Anything else I should replace when I'm in it?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Is it a tap or a ticking sound? My 3.2L engine had this problem and it vanished after I replaced both belts and had the tension on them set properly. In addition, the serpentine belt had a chunk missing from the inside of the belt and i'm really glad it didn't snap on the highway...

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
LOL! This thread brings back memories of when I destroyed my 2.7! :biggrin: One too many silly races against my buddy in his GTP...oil starved bearings...Spun #2 main...motor failed a few weeks later. Hope you have better luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled off the intake and both valve covers.the head on the drivers side has oil burnt on the inside of the cover and on the rockers toward the front of the head.And I mean burnt to the point I can scrap a hardened film off with my fingure nail.The pass. side is super clean.I know its not an oiling issue(just ask my uncle who was standing over the head as I turned over the motor..hehehehehe...it was funny.)My only theory is that an exhaust valve is bent bad enough and/or is not closing all the way,thus letting the heat build up in the valve cover and drying the oil residue on the head.The tap was coming from that side(actually sounded like it was hitting the insde of the valve cover).If someone else has a different idea,please let me know.I have already started pulling parts off so I can pull the head.I can't believe what i have to do to get it off!

·
Registered
119 Posts
You can rule out rod knock by pulling spark plug wires one at a time. If the noise goes away when you pull one wire, you found your problem -- a junked rod bearing on that particular cylinder.

You guys trying to race Intrepids make me laugh.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's not a joke if you build it right... stock for stock though? Even stock R/T will get spanked by plenty of cars out there. Grand Am GT ain't impressive, either. Quick yes, fast no...

Actually not building that fox LTD to race... the 3.8 had a rod knock of its own I bandaided with a new rod bearing. FIgured it's emissions exempt in January, needs a new engine... why not?

Done derailing this thread for now....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts