DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the car is warmed up in park I can hear a fast sanding noise, it sounds like someone is rubbing a piece of sandpaper against metal back & forth pausing for a 1/10 of a second & repeats, constantly.

How "bleeped" am I?

Recent changes, drive belt & Bosche Platinum +4's.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello BTC909,

Need to add a few more facts to your post. Need to know year and engine type. Did this noise start only after the two mentioned changes? Does it only happen on cold days? If it did happen after one of the mentioned changes, have you rechecked to make sure installation is complete.. IE..loose panel/wire or tightner not fully engaged.

Just a few ideas.

sURFN

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
98ES 3.2 85K miles. Seems to have started after the belt change but not right away.
It always happens, just have to wait for the car to warm up. Drive, Park same thing.

Originally posted by sURFNmADNESS:
Hello BTC909,

Need to add a few more facts to your post. Need to know year and engine type. Did this noise start only after the two mentioned changes? Does it only happen on cold days? If it did happen after one of the mentioned changes, have you rechecked to make sure installation is complete.. IE..loose panel/wire or tightner not fully engaged.

Just a few ideas.

sURFN

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like it could easily be the belt -- may need readjusting since it's new.

By the way, how do you like the Plus-4's on your Intrepid?? :)

Regards,
Marcus
'98 3.2L ES

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am in agreement with Marcus.

The chain has an adjuster called the tensioner that of course keeps tension on the belt. Many times after changing out a timing chain or even timing belt, this has to be readjusted after a few miles are on the new part.

Check back with your mechanic.

sURFN

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Bosche +4's well you can see the rearview mirror rattle now. It does kick some more butt on the highend.

My next plan is to go with Amsoil, Chrysler ATF+4 approved synthetic tranny fluid. Somedays it's as if my car is running with the parking brake on. I know the tranny will shift firmer but the foaming of the tranny fluid seems to make the car sluggish some days.

·
Registered
187 Posts
WHOA!!!

If your transmittion fluid is foaming up, you have too much in there which could account for it making the noise your describing since your tranny is based on it's fluid levels. Make sure your checking your fluid with the car running in Park or Neutral, check the fluid level. If it is cold (avg around 70 degree day), it should be about 1/4 of an inch above the add hole on the bottom of the stick. Recheck the fluid once the car reaches normal running range, about 180 degrees. It now should be between the hot marks. It should never be over the highest hot hole. If it is, you need to drain it ASAP. Also per the books, you never want to use anything in this car except ATF Plus 3 type 7176 fluid.

Assuming you have changed tranny filters already by 85k too.

sURFN

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nawh it's not foaming up in the reservoir but I know the longer the car sits (more than a day & a 1/2) the better it'll run.
Once you've driven it for a 1/2 hour the tranny gets lazy. Slower shifts, sluggish performance. Especially with the AC on. I know it's foam building up in the tranny while it heats up. It just drags the car down. I've had the tranny serviced twice when i've owned the car. Plus a PCM update.

Recommended for applications requiring the following specifications:
http://www.amsoil.com/products/atf.html

GM Dexron II, Dexron III
Ford Mercon, Mercon V
<b>Chrysler ATF+, ATF+2, ATF+3, ATF+4</B>
Mitsubishi Diamond SP II & III
Allison C-3 & C-4 and TES-295
Caterpillar Powershift Transmission TO-2 & TO-3
Voith Commercial Transmissions
GM Strasbourg (European Imports) and Opel

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
uhh.. I guess with my recent experiance, I wouldn't use anything but mopar ATF+3 or +4 fluid in my tranny, NOTHING ELSE. but, if you trust that that amsoil is good for your car, go for it. (I am not payin' the bill :p)

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
oh... and that tranny fluid might be the exact reason why your tranny gets to shift lazy when warm. Our transmissions use a tempeture sensor inside to determine the charitics of the fluid flowing through their veins. Fully synthetic fluid changes it properties when warm MUCH DIFFERENTLY than the Regular Mopar fluid, which might make the clutchs slip/torque converter freak out/........

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well if it's specifically listed as compatible with the Chrysler ATF+3/+4 then I'd say it must be fine -- most fluids don't actually go that far as to state that compatibility because most fluids really aren't compatible with it. The days of using Dexron fluid in Chryslers ended a decade or two ago!

However if there's any transmission behavior issue I'd be suspecting that fluid first before anything else. If the fluid level is too low or too high you will get foaming and poor performance. You may be able to drain off excess using a long vacuum tube or something.

If the fluid level is right, then I'd do a complete flush and refill with proper Chrysler ATF+4 fluid to the proper fill level.

If this might end up being a warranty-covered item, you'll want to have original Chrysler fluid in there when you take it to the dealership for service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts