DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a fasia but i am not sure about the materials, i was told to use like a sponge and then cover it with the fiber glass and i was told to use also like a play doh thing, this is the first time that im going to do this, and im doin it because i want to make somethin different so any help it ll be welcome

·
Registered
291 Posts
Try this on a small scale model first.
Start with styrofoam. Shape it to the form that you want, you may have to hot glue pieces together.
Mold heavy screening over the styrofoam, then apply the fiberglass to the screening.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Deffinitely don't use styrofoam, the resin will melt it !!! The only way you could use it is by applying some kind of coating that will be inert to the casting resin, like a paint or something like that . Good luck !

·
Registered
291 Posts
The styrofoam is used only to shape the screening. Remove the screening from the styrofoam, apply the fiberglass over the screening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, yes i was planing to do it in a small scale fist, but for next week am planning to do it i just want to be sure about the material thanks :)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
pgr1940 said:
The styrofoam is used only to shape the screening. Remove the screening from the styrofoam, apply the fiberglass over the screening.
And could you tell me how would you keep the shape when you remove the styrofoam before applying a layer of resin and letting it cure, bcs the moment styrene comel into contact with liquid resin will melt and there will be nothing shaping the fiberglass mesh anymore...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Screening may be the wrong word. Maybe it’s called fencing. The material is not as flimsy as the screening for windows. It comes in rolls, it’s a thicker and looks like ¼ inch checkerboard squares. You can buy it at Home Depot or at a hardware store. I’ve rolled it into cylinders and put it around plants to keep small pests from eating the plants.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
pgr1940 said:
Screening may be the wrong word. Maybe it’s called fencing. The material is not as flimsy as the screening for windows. It comes in rolls, it’s a thicker and looks like ¼ inch checkerboard squares. You can buy it at Home Depot or at a hardware store. I’ve rolled it into cylinders and put it around plants to keep small pests from eating the plants.
LOL I know what it look and feels like and I know it's properties and holding a shape on its own isn't a property fiberglass mesh has. You have to use the thiker one wich looks like a woven blanket with 2-3" long fiberglass strands and it shapes better than the single layer mesh wich might suit better an application where you don't have to follow intricated curves like our bumpers have. Still even with that you still need a form to replicate it in resin fiberglass is there just to add strength to the cast. :spiral:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts