DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal. I pull up to an intersection and in the lane on my left is a dark blue Pontiac GP GTP with badging clearly stating supercharged. Young guy driving and it looks like one of those boy racer cars complete with fugly yellow painted brake calipers.

The lanes we are in both turn left onto a devided highway. Light goes green and I'm sure this guy is gonna walk away from me for two reasons 1. he's got the inside lane so there is a distinct advantage there. 2. GP's are faster than trep. R/T's last knew. Well we both gun it and I pull ahead slightly, door to door through the turn. As we exit the turn I'm 1/2 a length ahead and going "HUH, didn't expect that". Continuing on, I'm pulling ahead S l o w l y, but as our speed increases so does the rate at which I'm leaving him. Finally at like 120 He's nowhere close. I'm guessing something was wrong with that thing 'cause I'm sure if it was right he'd have left ME in the dust-christ I'm used to it-I get spanked regularly at this location by a beater 1999 Maxima. Now I'm pretty sure he didn't sandbag it-you could tell by his shift points that he was WOT(easy to tell as my window was down and his engine was at my ear for the 1-2 and just behind for the 2-3).
So guys tell me "How could it be?"

·
Registered
379 Posts
Some guys like to be pretenders - they buy the GTP Supercharged badges and stick 'em on for a 50HP boost on their 3.8L and 3.1L GPs.

Or, it was a very sick running GTP.

Or, some GTP owners -and this is really stupid- remove the supercharger belt from the SC in an attempt to reduce their fuel consumption. The result is a GTP that is slower than a GT (due to lower compression ratio and lower final drive ratio of 2.93 instead of 3.29)

Bottom line: Chalk-up a win.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
GTP+ES said:
Or, some GTP owners -and this is really stupid- remove the supercharger belt from the SC in an attempt to reduce their fuel consumption. The result is a GTP that is slower than a GT (due to lower compression ratio and lower final drive ratio of 2.93 instead of 3.29)

In that case, the wouldn't be trying to mash the pedal would they ??? It would defy the purpose of removing the belt...... :icon16:

·
Registered
379 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
In that case, the wouldn't be trying to mash the pedal would they ??? It would defy the purpose of removing the belt...... :icon16:

Some people can't resist a race - even if they've disconnected the belt. Besides, there's no evidence that disconnecting the SC belt will reduce fuel consumption.
GTP's, even when lightly modded, have excellent fuel economy at highway cruise. I can average 35MPG at 60mph, provided I keep the A/C off and my right foot away from the floorboard. :biggrin:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IntrepidBus IV said:
1st, 2nd or 3rd gen GTP?
I'm guessind 2g, but that is only a guess...I don't know a lot about them. What I do know is that some time ago a buddy of mine had what I think was a 1g, It had very narrow headlight openings and gobs of plastic mouldings on the sides. on a side note, it was a manual trans., which I was told was VERY rare-so rare that when that trans went bad it took 6 weeks to get the replacement from Germany. He finally sold it due to it crapping out constantly from day one. My brother in law had what I believe was a 2g non S/C GP, great looking black car, however he dumped it due to poor reliability also. Both these people went on to buy their wives pontiacs at a later date(grand am and G6), go figure....
Lastly when my first R/T was totalled I was given what I believe was a 3g GP 4 dr. Let me tell you I WANTED to hate that car.....3800 series 3 -WTF is that? antique pushrod motor revisited for the 3rd time??? The styling was horrific- especially the interior. But I tell you what, it ran well, got far better mileage than the trep., and the seat of the pants dyno wasn't seeing the R/T as a clear winner either. On top of that it had some pretty innovative features too. The only real deterrent from owning one is pontiacs horrific long term quality...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GTP+ES said:
Some guys like to be pretenders - they buy the GTP Supercharged badges and stick 'em on for a 50HP boost on their 3.8L and 3.1L GPs.

Or, it was a very sick running GTP.

I'm guessing it was a sick one, those badges were showing the same wear & tear as the rest of the car-not beat to hell or anything but def. been on there since the beginning.

·
Registered
379 Posts
saselker said:
Lastly when my first R/T was totalled I was given what I believe was a 3g GP 4 dr. Let me tell you I WANTED to hate that car.....3800 series 3 -WTF is that? antique pushrod motor revisited for the 3rd time??? The styling was horrific- especially the interior. But I tell you what, it ran well, got far better mileage than the trep., and the seat of the pants dyno wasn't seeing the R/T as a clear winner either. On top of that it had some pretty innovative features too. The only real deterrent from owning one is pontiacs horrific long term quality...

Antique pushrod motors? Don't tell that to any Viper and Corvette owners. :wink:
As for long term quality, I would say that from my personal experience with DC and GM, the Grand Prix and Trep seem to be about the same. The 3800 V6 is known for its longevity and durability (intake manifold gaskets on the non SC versions are a weak spot).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GTP+ES said:
Antique pushrod motors? Don't tell that to any Viper and Corvette owners. :wink:
As for long term quality, I would say that from my personal experience with DC and GM, the Grand Prix and Trep seem to be about the same. The 3800 V6 is known for its longevity and durability (intake manifold gaskets on the non SC versions are a weak spot).
Oh, I know thats why I said I WANTED to hate that car....speaking of pushrod motor-uhh HEMI aka all the rage. I just rember the 3.8's from the early days....like 1977 when they came out-bad, really bad. Can't seem to get past that. I had a few-including one in an '87 Regal T-Type(not so bad) I guess they perfected it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts