DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this may sound like a total newbie question, but I've never done this before... so I want to make sure I have the proper instructions because I've heard different instructions from several "knowledgeable" people.

My biggest concern is that the instructions that came with my jumper cables say "DO NOT attach to the negative terminal of the dead battery" but rather to somewhere on the engine body.

However, my Trep has bolt that says "negative connection" that looks like just another bolt in the engine, but I have a feeling that it is connected to the negative terminal of my battery. Should I not use that to connect to???

Also, the cables I bought have copper clips covered by a plastic sheath (where you grip it), but my hand could easily touch the copper ends that are exposed.... if I accidentally touch it, will I get zapped???

·
Registered
917 Posts
Negative to negative, positive to positive. Yes, you will get zapped if you touch it...

Touch them together and watch the sparks...that will be your hand :p

·
Registered
780 Posts
Even if you get zapped there is not a life threatening mount (12V to your fingers will scare you but not kill you)

I always do pos to pos neg from jumper car to engine block (usually AC or alt bracket bolt ) on car being jumped
what he said...the dead battery should be hooked up positive only

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The reason is that the last connection you make will cause a spark. Ya don't want a spark near your battery because batteries give off hydrogen gas. So make sure the LAST connection you make is neg jump cable to the block.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've always done pos to pos, neg to neg. No problems yet. Getting zapped isn't to bad, you'll smile after you jump trust me! I got zapped by the coil wire a few weeks ago...

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I've always done pos to pos, neg to neg. No problems yet. Getting zapped isn't to bad, you'll smile after you jump trust me! I got zapped by the coil wire a few weeks ago...
pos/pos & neg/neg is no problem...on a 1st gen LH where the battery isn't buried under the air filter box. Use the pos jump point on the 2nd gens w/ a good negative ground point somewhere on the motor and you'll be fine. Either that or move your battery to the trunk where you can get to those connections w/out hassle. Might be a little excessive for that purpose alone though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Remote Negative lead on your Second Gen is there for this very reason. So when you finish the circuit by connecting your Neg to remote Neg., and it sparks, you wont ignite battery fumes from your dead battery. The remote Negative is about two feet away, and is generally a safe point to connect to. It probably also is a better connection in the fact its cable to the Neg post of your battery is direct, but as short as possible. Just makes sure you keep it clean with a terminal brush and maybe some electro-contact cleaner.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
The Remote Negative lead on your Second Gen is there for this very reason. So when you finish the circuit by connecting your Neg to remote Neg., and it sparks, you wont ignite battery fumes from your dead battery. The remote Negative is about two feet away, and is generally a safe point to connect to. It probably also is a better connection in the fact its cable to the Neg post of your battery is direct, but as short as possible. Just makes sure you keep it clean with a terminal brush and maybe some electro-contact cleaner.
There's 2 remote terminals. It's more likely than not, there because the battery is buried under everything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Definately not the easiest battery to take out IMO.
I'm pretty sure the leads are distanced away from the battery for safety measure, as if it were only because its buried, they would be right above the battery at the front of the car.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Definately not the easiest battery to take out IMO.
I'm pretty sure the leads are distanced away from the battery for safety measure, as if it were only because its buried, they would be right above the battery at the front of the car.
We can argue this all we want, but it doesn't really matter.

The leads are likely where they are because of the battery location.

The key with a jump start is that if your battery is dying (and you don't have an AGM battery) then it can be leaking explosive fumes.

The first safety measure is to connect the dead battery first, there is no circuit being competed there so no spark.

Then with the possibility that the other battery is leaking explosive fumes also, don't connect the negative cable straight to the battery. Any spot on the frame that is not covered in paint will work. For us, the jump post is perfect.

The positive jump post for us is actually better than being connected to the battery (not by much though). The starter is connected through the jump post.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have always just done it by terminals pos/pos, then neg/neg... Mostly because half the sets of cables I use don't have enough slack to go to the block or another point of contact...

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
i tried pos to pos and neg to neg and some cars wont work.

It has to be to the main block or body ground. Like it will sorta work but its like you are charging the battery first and then firing.

Side note, i give my friends boosts all the time with the car off LOL... i still have the original battery and they all drive little hondas. I do it so i dont kill gas while they take their sweet ass time to hook up the cables.

But generally i connect the positive from our remote terminal to the remote terminal of the other car /+ pole and the negative is usually one of the top motor mounts of the other car.

Just has to make a good contact and ure all set. Doesnt take much juice to turn a car over. Ive seen my cables spark but ive never been shocked since they should all be insulated on the grips anyways.

Good luck, and awesome little thread, perhaps to teach some ppl how to jumpstart their cars. most jumper cables come with instructions as well (FYI).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts