DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 98 Trep with 88k which runs well, and is generally beautiful. I have envied you guys with your treps since the G1's. Anyway how can I check if I have oil sludge and if I do can I do something to fix it before it becomes a problem. I am starting to use Mobil one synthetic with a premium filter. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Gaelicfire

P.S. This site is a great find.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
welcome to the site.
tha answer to the sludge problem is if she blows up, you got sludge ;)

actually a switch to synthetic will stop the sludge i believe, and at the next oil change, see if your mechanic has scope to look at the internals of the machine.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
'98 'trep =3.2L ?

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Gaelicfire said:
Anyway how can I check if I have oil sludge and if I do can I do something to fix it before it becomes a problem.
Simple: Get the engine flushed by the dealer, then add Mobil Synthetic. Adding Synthetic will aid in the prevention of sludge buildup, and timing chain failure. Below are pics of sludge and a f*cked up timing chain from a 2.7. Thanks to the member Ripped Off for the pics:

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Gaelicfire said:
I just bought a 98 Trep with 88k which runs well, and is generally beautiful. I have envied you guys with your treps since the G1's. Anyway how can I check if I have oil sludge and if I do can I do something to fix it before it becomes a problem. I am starting to use Mobil one synthetic with a premium filter. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Gaelicfire

P.S. This site is a great find.
The easiest way to check for sludge is to drop the oil pan. Not very difficult, and the most efficient way to get a good look at the inside of the motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts