DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have both mirrors now, but The left one needs to be painted, it's black now and I want silver. I'm wondering if anyone has painted their special mirrors and if they could tell me how to go about getting them ready for paint. I'm especially worried about getting the lens off the signals so that I can paint around them with a more professional look. I have looked at TFC's how-to on special mirror dis-assembly, but I'm wondering if I can prep these without completely tearing them apart.
Thanks in advance guys.
-Gig

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
probably gotta tear em apart dude

·
Banned
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Groooaaaaaan, I really don't want to have to do that......I'm afraid, I'll admit it, I'm afraid to mess up these mirrors.
Maybe I can send 'em to Ross and let him do it for me :)

·
Dain bramaged
7,219 Posts
just be real careful with the masking and you should be ok.. it would prolly be easier to tear em apart thou

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
You should be OK if you mask them off really well. There has to be a seam between the light and the mirror. If you mask over that seam and then run it with a sharp X-acto knife, you should be fine. Just make sure to have a steady hand and know where your blade's going. Has to be better than taking it apart.
As for prepping it for paint: sand it down with a high grit paper, 1000 or so. Shoot the plastic with a primer, that will fill in any small scratches there might be on the surface. Wet sand lightly after the primer is dry just to smooth the surface before paint. Make sure to keep your oily fingers off it when you're working on it. I generally wipe things i paint down with alcohol before shooting it.

·
Banned
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All right, I suppose I can give that a try. The tough part is that the lens on the signal has a lip on it that comes out over the painted surface on one side, which makes it a bit more difficult.
I might try taking apart a signal mirror that I have that is kind of an extra. I bought it for dirt cheap because it had a small chip on the leading edge of the mount-block, I paid $25 for it and figured I could fix it. Now I'm thinking it might make an excellent guinea pig, lol.
Good point about keeping my fingers off the plastic before paint, hadn't thought of that, thanks.
BTW, Happy 1000th post RCE2WIN.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,761 Posts
What about the area where the folding hinge is? Just a thought..are you going to paint it folded all the way out or folded back?

·
Banned
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ronbo said:
What about the area where the folding hinge is? Just a thought..are you going to paint it folded all the way out or folded back?
Well, good question, I had asked a friend who builds show trucks and he said to do both. Paint it unfolded, and then tape it off and just paint the part that was hidden. If it makes a line it won't matter because you won't see it when it's not folded.

·
Banned
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm mid-teardown. I decided to just go for it and do it the right way, and I've been using Ross' how-to on the subject and I have to say, it's not as bad as I thought :)
I have a couple points that I might encourage Ross to add, but all in all his instructions are very thorough. I'll let you all know how it goes...wish me luck, I'm goin' in.......

·
Banned
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In case anyone wondered, I did get those mirrors torn down, painted and then put back together. I have to say the process is not as easy as it sounds, you have to be very careful or else you can break tabs all over the place, luckily I had some spare parts to work with so I was still able to salvage the mess I made.

If anyone else attempts this there may be a need to remove the swivel-post in the mount block, if you need to do this then you will need a dremel, some good epoxy and a lot of patience. That was by far the hardest part of the whole ordeal.

There is also a problem with the wiring how-to, in my case the wire colors were not the same as listed in the how-to. I had to take all the wiring apart and start over again using the trial and error method. Also, i didn't find it anywhere else, and I'll admit that I should have figured this out on my own a lot quicker than I did, but nobody tells you anywhere else that you need to hook up a ground wire for the signal. I mean duh, yeah you will need a ground wire, I felt really stupid when i realized that was my problem, but nothing mentioned it, so I didn't realize at first that I needed it. I had to break out the handy dandy FSM and track down the wiring diagram to figure out where to ground it to, but it all works now.

Now that I have most of my mods done, I will be making my sig thread soon. Just need to get some time to take some pics.

If anyone does this mod and needs any advice, just send me a PM and I'll be glad to help you out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts